• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydration

ECKSJAY

Water is dirty
My Drill SGTs used to annoy the hell out of us by hollering 'DRINK WATER', at which time we had to open canteens and drink. They'd give us hell if we didn't have water in the canteens, yet wanted us to drink constantly.

The first time I saw someone severely dehydrated I understood why. Someone violently ill and completely disoriented is one thing, seeing them pass out and not wake up immediately is another.

My point here is that it's going to be hot at Liberty, the winds kick up a lot, and the moisture gets sucked out of you quickly. On a trail run it's VERY easy to forget to drink water and keep hydrated. Over Memorial Day weekend I had to tend to a 'patient' who was assisting me in a VERY tedious vehicle recovery. *I* was in a bind since I was working the recovery AND dealing with heat exhaustion. This young man was my eyes and ears on another side of the recovery, but came up to me complaining that he was very sick to his stomach and very dizzy. I eventually found out that he had been sick earlier in the week and wasn't fully recovered, thus probably dehydrated already. It was a very uncomfortable situation of multitasking that I'd rather not go through again.

I ask for the sake of everyone involved that you know your limitations and take care of yourselves! Caffeine and alcohol sap us of our precious bodily fluids which need to be replenished. Just be mindful so you can have a good time. :)

/dad

Back