• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Scope Creep: Ham Radio Install, Kenwood TM-V71A

Anak

Stranger
NAXJA Member
I did this several years ago and never posted it up. A recent inquiry makes it relevant.

The Kenwood TM-V71A is the radio of choice in a group I wheel with. The true dual band design allows the group to have one channel for chit-chat and a separate channel for instructions from the trail boss. This means important information is not lost in the banter. This radio also happens to be a really convenient fit in an early ('96 & down) XJ. The head unit fits gracefully in the console, solving one of the challenges of where to mount such a radio in the vehicle.

Here is how I have mine set up:

The brain box of the radio is mounted under the passenger seat. I had to play around with the holes in the provided mounting bracket. My initial efforts at a low profile were too low (as you can see from the irregular hole that I made and then didn't use. If I recall correctly I spaced the bracket up through the carpet through the use of rubber isolators such as come with MSD ignition modules. I think also placed a heat shield under that part of the floorboard (underneath the vehicle, above the exhaust) figuring that part of the floor probably gets fairly warm. Here is the mounting of the brain box:

HamInstall20OPT.gif

Note that I have this tucked in close to the transmission tunnel too. This required finding a wrench to install the screws for that side of the mount:

HamInstall23OPT.gif

For the mic jack I purchased an RJ45 panel mount connector and a short (I think 36") cable to feed it between the brain box and the connector. I installed the connector in the rear of the center console:

HamInstall26OPT.gif

Here is how it looks installed, with the mic plugged in:

HamInstall29OPT.gif

The head itself is mounted in the front of the console. It takes a very short screw. Rather than cut a screw down I put a nut on a screw. This means I am assured of full engagement before I put any tension on the little brass insert in a plastic body:

HamInstall32OPT.gif

And here is how it looks when buttoned up:

HamInstall33OPT.gif

The mic I mounted to the driver's side of the console, just at the front of the seat:

HamInstall34OPT.gif

And here is how the cable lays for the mic, making life easy for the driver when it is needed:

HamInstall37OPT.gif

My antenna is a Diamond NR770HB, which is a 2m/70cm dual band which operates well without regard to ground plane. Since I use my roof for transmitter hunting (whole 'nuther subject matter) I decided to mount this antenna to my quarter panel armor:

AntennaMount3OPT.gif

It feeds through a bulkhead connector and an angled spacer I made to deal with the angle on the rub rails:

AntennaMount6OPT.gif

A roof mount would be just fine for most folks however.

I hope this provides some help to someone else looking to solve some of the same problems.

Our 2001 Jeep doesn't have a convenient place in the console for mounting the TM-V71A, an overhead position does work, with the control box located under the driver's seat, using a separate speaker, also mounted overhead on a steel plate run between the sun visor clips.
3840612234_d4be861252_w.jpg

The microphone uses modular cords, I used an HD home telephone outlet box and located the mike in a similar position.
50051643317_de30e8dbc0_w.jpg

A Larsen NMO 2m-70cm antenna is center-mounted on the roof for a good ground plane. Shown is the cap that covers the NMO socket when the antenna is not installed is shown. This location allows for a short run of coax.
50051447701_4cc9d4b0c4_w.jpg

The transceiver been in use for over ten years, being moved back and forth from the RV to the Jeep, and has never failed. The dual receiver sure is handy plus NOAA broadcasts can be monitored.

I did this several years ago and never posted it up. A recent inquiry makes it relevant.

The Kenwood TM-V71A is the radio of choice in a group I wheel with. The true dual band design allows the group to have one channel for chit-chat and a separate channel for instructions from the trail boss. This means important information is not lost in the banter. This radio also happens to be a really convenient fit in an early ('96 & down) XJ. The head unit fits gracefully in the console, solving one of the challenges of where to mount such a radio in the vehicle.

Here is how I have mine set up:

The brain box of the radio is mounted under the passenger seat. I had to play around with the holes in the provided mounting bracket. My initial efforts at a low profile were too low (as you can see from the irregular hole that I made and then didn't use. If I recall correctly I spaced the bracket up through the carpet through the use of rubber isolators such as come with MSD ignition modules. I think also placed a heat shield under that part of the floorboard (underneath the vehicle, above the exhaust) figuring that part of the floor probably gets fairly warm. Here is the mounting of the brain box:

HamInstall20OPT.gif

Note that I have this tucked in close to the transmission tunnel too. This required finding a wrench to install the screws for that side of the mount:

HamInstall23OPT.gif

For the mic jack I purchased an RJ45 panel mount connector and a short (I think 36") cable to feed it between the brain box and the connector. I installed the connector in the rear of the center console:

HamInstall26OPT.gif

Here is how it looks installed, with the mic plugged in:

HamInstall29OPT.gif

The head itself is mounted in the front of the console. It takes a very short screw. Rather than cut a screw down I put a nut on a screw. This means I am assured of full engagement before I put any tension on the little brass insert in a plastic body:

HamInstall32OPT.gif

And here is how it looks when buttoned up:

HamInstall33OPT.gif

The mic I mounted to the driver's side of the console, just at the front of the seat:

HamInstall34OPT.gif

And here is how the cable lays for the mic, making life easy for the driver when it is needed:

HamInstall37OPT.gif

My antenna is a Diamond NR770HB, which is a 2m/70cm dual band which operates well without regard to ground plane. Since I use my roof for transmitter hunting (whole 'nuther subject matter) I decided to mount this antenna to my quarter panel armor:

AntennaMount3OPT.gif

It feeds through a bulkhead connector and an angled spacer I made to deal with the angle on the rub rails:

AntennaMount6OPT.gif

A roof mount would be just fine for most folks however.

I hope this provides some help to someone else looking to solve some of the same problems.

No pictures showing for me. Very interested. Installing Kenwood TK-8180 UHF (GMRS) possibly with remote mount. My only concern with control unit under the seat is water crossings.. which I have never done or expect to.

Edit: Also, why did you not mount under driver's seat to avoid high heat from exhaust? Power seat maybe?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Our 2001 Jeep doesn't have a convenient place in the console for mounting the TM-V71A, an overhead position does work, with the control box located under the driver's seat, using a separate speaker, also mounted overhead on a steel plate run between the sun visor clips.

The microphone uses modular cords, I used an HD home telephone outlet box and located the mike in a similar position.

A Larsen NMO 2m-70cm antenna is center-mounted on the roof for a good ground plane. Shown is the cap that covers the NMO socket when the antenna is not installed is shown. This location allows for a short run of coax.

The transceiver been in use for over ten years, being moved back and forth from the RV to the Jeep, and has never failed. The dual receiver sure is handy plus NOAA broadcasts can be monitored.

Did you simply run the coax from the NMO under the headliner, popping out near the mirror? How long? 3' I'm figuring with maybe a bit more for wiggle room.

Pictures should show. Try clicking on the links. I have heard that my pics don't show in one browser or another (Chrome?).

IIRC I chose the passenger seat to minimize distance runs on wiring. Battery power is on that side of the vehicle. I have not seen any evidence of heat issues.

Pictures should show. Try clicking on the links. I have heard that my pics don't show in one browser or another (Chrome?).

IIRC I chose the passenger seat to minimize distance runs on wiring. Battery power is on that side of the vehicle. I have not seen any evidence of heat issues.

Yup, worked with Explorer. Nice work but I have an automatic so changes config. Still worth seeing tho.

Thanks.

Pix work fine on WIN10 and Chrome.

Place to avoid is passenger side under the rear seat. A buddy of mine lost a nice dualbander in his '89 when the muffler rusted out on top and superheated the radio (and carpet, and seat cushion...) ;)

New question:

I'm having a hard time removing the a-pillar interior trim. Removed the grab bar and upper trim, fuse block cover and lower trim but getting a beating getting the vertical from the kick panel and next to the windshield off or loose enough to run power and antenna cable behind it and through the headliner. Yup, I have trim removal tools.
Plan is to build a bracket between the visors to mount the radio (or the remote unit if I can find a suitable spot for the radio). Roof mounted NMO antenna.

Just can't be that difficult.

TIA

no picture seen nor links seen in original post, chrome computer. Me, I am most interested in seeing them. I am considering a shortwave radio. unfortunately I need a license to operate it legally, and all the HAM clubs which administrate the licence tests are shut down do to red china virus. It maybe a while, bummer.

Try clearing cookies?

Try a different computer?

The pics are there.

I'm having a hard time removing the a-pillar interior trim.

Removing a-pillar trim is a huge PITA, at least on ‘97-‘01 XJs. (I don’t know about earlier years.) It helps to pull off the pad that sits on top of the dash. For running wire, though, if that’s what you need to do, there really isn’t any reason to take the trim completely off. If you just loosen it you should be able to get the wires tucked in.

Here’s another option.

Inspired by JonnyCat63’s installation (posted in another thread) I used a Metra double din bezel to install a single din stereo unit and a ham radio. I opted for a transceiver with a forward-facing speaker, which works very nicely.

Because the transceiver is 3/4 of an inch narrower than the single din stereo I made some 3/8 inch spacers to sandwich between the Metra brackets and the transceiver. Here are the radios mounted in the Metra brackets and ready to install.

2bc0ad6179e0a0502de5b413a11880c5.jpg

And here they are after installation.

1b3d288735ae1c28932c12721ad608ef.jpg

I’d initially planned to make a face plate from abs plastic to fill the gaps between the radios and the bezel for a more “finished” look, but after getting this far I decided to leave it as is. It doesn’t look too bad, and the ham unit can use all the air flow it can get to stay cool.

Back