• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time for a roll cage

rockwerks

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking to do a roll cage in the new XJ and was thinking along the lines of and Internal and external setup. being sort of tall having a bunch of cage work inside is rather unappealing

My thought is for an exo on the roof and front A pillars down through the front fenders to my existing boxed rockers, and braced to the frame, with a hood wind shield crossbar and roof tie in. the rear wold be more typical interior cage work

anyone seen anything like this? pics of cages?

rockwerks said:
My thought is for an exo on the roof and front A pillars down through the front fenders to my existing boxed rockers, and braced to the frame, with a hood wind shield crossbar and roof tie in. the rear wold be more typical interior cage work

anyone seen anything like this? pics of cages?

Mine's sorta like that.

DSC02713Medium.JPG

DSC02708Medium.JPG

DSC02729Medium.JPG

To fit 1.75" tube inside the fender, you need to notch out the inner fender area where the tube goes...it's not too bad. Just be careful on the marking so you can get it close, and then weld it to the tube once everything is in place.

well I like aspects of both of these, several thoughts are need to support up the center of the windshield and still be able to replace the windshield if it gets broken. the halo to me should be able to be used for storage for long trips like the rubicon also. keep em coming great stuff, also verbal thoughts are welcome

Brian, I think it's been awhile since you've seen mine. There are many reasons why I think this is the best way to build an XJ cage, I just commented in the other thread on this.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=948561

I like having lots of head room so it's really safer, protecting the roof so the rig isn't totalled in a hard roll, and adding good rigidity. Also, I don't like the looks of full exo cages. Here's pics of mine, and I've had the windshield replaced since the cage was built. I've also rolled it onto it's lid, and rolled it the rest of the way over to get it back on it's wheels.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Gman, that is really close to what I was thinking, jsut with a full halo and some internal support. was actually thinking about platiing some sections of the roof and bolting the halo through to hoops b pillar location, c pillar and rear door .on the inside so basically there would be 3/16" x 6' straps both inside and out side of the rig. Thoughts?

then do the front very similar to yours. I will also tie in the rear to my existing bumper.

Both CRASH and Gary E have nice cages with exterior roof halos and interior down bars. The down bars go from the floor through the roof to the halo. There are threads on both of them, but they would be a few years old. I think it's much easier to just go through the roof, than try to come up with some elaborate system to tie the inside to the outside.

I have an internal cage as well, but it's probably overkill. I was going for very good structural rigidity and wanted to protect the new roof and all the body work of the chop job for the long haul. My roof halo is tied to the interior B pillar hoop with short tubes through the roof. I never sealed the holes off around the tube, and surprisingly it doesn't leak. I've been in big rain storms with no moisture inside, and many wash jobs with no water inside.

If you're worried about sealing the tube where it goes through the roof, you can pick up a few of these at Lowes or Home Depot for a couple bucks:

thermoplastic_nc.jpg

It's a plastic roof flashing for going around a vent stack pipe. The hole slips over a 1.5-2" tube with a good seal, and you can just cut the round part out and RTV it on the roof of the XJ.

vetteboy said:
If you're worried about sealing the tube where it goes through the roof, you can pick up a few of these at Lowes or Home Depot for a couple bucks:

thermoplastic_nc.jpg

It's a plastic roof flashing for going around a vent stack pipe. The hole slips over a 1.5-2" tube with a good seal, and you can just cut the round part out and RTV it on the roof of the XJ.

I love it POOP pipe flashing LOL

So off to design I go, and see a friend with a bender, I sold mine a few yers ago when money was very tight.

Goatman said:
My roof halo is tied to the interior B pillar hoop with short tubes through the roof.

I just started doing this on mine...the construction is a little different, but the B-pillar hoop is the same (I think).

DSC02801.JPG

Should be pretty easy to seal these up.

DSC02796.JPG

DSC02797.JPG

I'll probably add two more that are closer to the roof edge; I can go to about the middle of the outer roof sections before I can't weld it on the inside anymore due to the way my B-pillar hoop was laid out.

Back