• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ's with 33's

3 inch with 33's no trim. Drove like that for a week or two
IMG_0472.jpg

4.5 inch no trim. Drove a round for a few months.
9c0bd2e7.jpg

4.5 inch trimmed and 4.88 gears.
31f64bcb.jpg

I wish I stayed at 3 inch, and just trimmed and geared. Around here it's a good compromise.

*By no trim I DID actually trim the bottom corners in the front and the flares because it rubbed really bad even on road.*

4" front and 4.5" rear on 33x12.5 with 4.5" backspacing. i had to do some trimming but not alot. i get the feeling though that when i eventually redo my suspension there will be more to cut but for now it works fine without any rub accept at full lock on the control arms. i do like how the backspacing makes the tires stick in, makes it a sleeper! ive been running stock 3.55's with my auto for over a year now with the 33's. is it gutless? no. is it fast (well guess that depends on what you think is fast), eh its ok. i have been planning a gear swap but have not got to it. honestly its really not as bad as everyone says it is. ive towed my dirt bikes with a jeep load of camping gear over 3000 foot passes and it did fine, had to be on it alot but it worked. around town its really un-noticeable.

DSCN0437-1.jpg
Go drive a stock Cherokee and get back to us on how ok it is...;) I drove mine for a few months with stock gears and it sucked.

Not to mention the extra wear and tear on your transmission.

my dad has a completely stock 96 country that i drive every once in a while. never said it was the same power wise. i am a chrysler tech so i deal with jeeps on a day to day basis. pretty sure my cherokee could out run a jk with 33s (not that it matters but makes a fare comparison). not saying its the hot set up to run stock gears with 33's but everyone makes it out to be a horrible experience.

I want some 33s after I get my Napier flares...

I have a really saggy 4.5" lift that's probably 3-3.5" now on 32s.

It flexes ok for having the front sway bar in. I took that off, but I need to register my Jeep before I can go test out my flex w/o it. The tires knocked off every one of my flares and the tires are sliced a bit because I haven't trimmed.

dsc00039km.jpg

dsc09790.jpg

img0536asm.jpg

I can post in here because I WISH I had 33s. :D

jeep.jpg

Clayton 4.5". i think the Rubi Moabs are 4.5" backspacing. I'm running 305/70 16 , which is generally accepted as a 33 x 12.5, but is accurately a 32.8 x 12.2. I took the trimming a little more than what Bushwacker says. You can be a little more liberal in your front trimming decision, but the rears you can only go so far. I also suggest a cheap alteration, in lieu of or along with, trimming. Notch the pinchweld located in the front fenderwells, beat it over (flat), and schmutz some undercoating or what not. No worries about slicing or chunking your new mudders

Thanks man. Had the Wackers painted at a Porsche/Mercedes dealership that i do glass work, for 4 large pizzas. Their painter also did my hood when i put the vents on, for a 6 foot hoagie. The rest is all original. Wax Shop Safe Cut HD takes out the Paragon pinstripes (R.I.P. Paragon Adventure Park)

Thanks man. Had the Wackers painted at a Porsche/Mercedes dealership that i do glass work, for 4 large pizzas. Their painter also did my hood when i put the vents on, for a 6 foot hoagie. The rest is all original. Wax Shop Safe Cut HD takes out the Paragon pinstripes (R.I.P. Paragon Adventure Park)

This wouldn't happen to be your painter would it?
41572_169965650529_3296403_n.jpg

lol, Paint looks darn nice!

This wouldn't happen to be your painter would it?
41572_169965650529_3296403_n.jpg

lol, Paint looks darn nice!
How does this guy even see the floor to walk? Thanks for my new screensaver :clap:

Think a better question is, why are your tires leaning in so badly? Think its time to do your ball joints Voteban

I was more surprised no-one else jumped on that! I about fell out of my chair when I saw that, scary. Unless he cut the spindle off and re-welded it to make some hella negative camber, there is a huge issue.

Think a better question is, why are your tires leaning in so badly? Think its time to do your ball joints Voteban
Was thinking this as well, but i wasnt sure if it was the camera angle or something. Insides of tires dont look too worn.............yet. The passenger knuckle looks to be pointing skyward worse than the drivers

I would bet it's the camera lense... Do like the bumper though!

Back