• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ's with 33's

cmonaco

NAXJA Forum User
Want to run 33's on my XJ with the absolute minimum amount of lift I can get away with. This will certainly include cutting sheet metal. I am curious how much lift others are running on 33's, what width 33's you are using and what kind of back spacing on the wheels.

Thanks.

im running 4.5 inches of lift, not sure of the back spacing but my tires stick out a little less than half, havent flexed it out yet either, but im sure ill loose a fender flare or two

I am running an re 4.5" short arm with 33x12.50x15 on 8" wheels 4.75" back space. I still had to cut my fenders and bumpstop quite a bit.

That said a 3.5" lift would be fine

Currently running V8 ZJ coils and 2" spacers up front and an S10 bastard pack in the rear. I did the cut and fold rear and trimmed about 2" or so up front and run TJ rear flares on all 4 corners. Tires are 33x12.50 Truxus MTs on 15x8 steelies with 3.75" backspace.

1.75" 33's, spacers in frt aal in rear, was extremly cheap and did ok, but had limited uptravel wich sent the frt tires airborn many times
New_DD_009.jpg

3" 33's, absolutly perfect, even had 9.5" of travel on 10" shocks
209.JPG

33s with 4" of lift. 15x8 soft 8s with 4.75" of back spacing on long arms. I trimmed the front and raised the factory flares about 1 1/2" and I've bump stoped everything accordingly. 2" of bump stop in the front and 3-4 in the rear, I have about an inch of shock left befor the bottom out at full flex.

33s and RE 4.5" super flex. 4" of backspacing if i remember correctly.

38699_104984899555935_100001332774399_37699_795394_n.jpg

38699_104984909555934_100001332774399_37701_7683857_n.jpg

(disregard the foamie on top. that was for my girlfriend at the time. my custom shape was safely locked away inside)

if you bump stop and then measure to get shocks that maximize droop, you can get 33s under stock with enough trimming.

10.50s will work on 7" rims, which most stock rims are. but you will run into issues with backspacing, and rubbing on the LCAs. i wouldnt run a 12.50 on anything smaller than 8" or with more than 4" of back spacing. youll want less (better safe than sorry) if you plan to run an 8.8.

Last edited:
I run anywhere from 3.5 to 4.5 or so depending on the coil springs I happen to get cheap for that jeep. Could run less if I felt like messing with it, but usually I would rather hit the trail than screw around with cutting the coils.

(disregard the foamie on top. that was for my girlfriend at the time. my custom shape was safely locked away inside)

Dude, it's okay, nothing to be ashamed of!

Are you guys who are running 33s on stock gearing or did you re-gear?
Not trying to get off topic here but I'm looking to run 3" lift on a daily driver with 31s for a few months until the jeep gets retired from its DD duty. If I can get away with running 33s and stock gearing, I would rather do that. Let me know.

Are you guys who are running 33s on stock gearing or did you re-gear?
Not trying to get off topic here but I'm looking to run 3" lift on a daily driver with 31s for a few months until the jeep gets retired from its DD duty. If I can get away with running 33s and stock gearing, I would rather do that. Let me know.

do you have an Auto or 5 speed. With a 5 speed you might get away with it if you don't live on hills etc. I have 33s and I used to have 4.10s and a 5-speed. It was OK, but horrible acceleration on hills, and i know i was working the engine/tranny too much. I have 4.88s now.

To answer the original poster, 4.5" would be good for 33s, another inch or 5.5 for 35s. depends how much flex you want really, you can be stock and just bumpstop to hell and it would be okay.

I ran 34x10.50 Swampers LTB on 4.5" lift. Trimmed, and still kept my stock flares.

No rubbing. I had them on 15x7 w/4" back space, which I think made all the difference in rubbing. Easy to stuff a 10.50 tire.

Jeepside.jpg

Pretty good droop.. didn't even have to bumpstop.
CMG2010040.jpg

It all depends on how much cutting you feel like doing. Search around a bit and you'll see a lot of different setups. I'm at 5.5" and like the way it looks and handles. That said, I'll probably go to 35s for my next set. Maybe.

4" front and 4.5" rear on 33x12.5 with 4.5" backspacing. i had to do some trimming but not alot. i get the feeling though that when i eventually redo my suspension there will be more to cut but for now it works fine without any rub accept at full lock on the control arms. i do like how the backspacing makes the tires stick in, makes it a sleeper! ive been running stock 3.55's with my auto for over a year now with the 33's. is it gutless? no. is it fast (well guess that depends on what you think is fast), eh its ok. i have been planning a gear swap but have not got to it. honestly its really not as bad as everyone says it is. ive towed my dirt bikes with a jeep load of camping gear over 3000 foot passes and it did fine, had to be on it alot but it worked. around town its really un-noticeable.

DSCN0437-1.jpg

Back