• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj vs TJ steering boxes, anyone used a Durango box?

Jeepin Jason

NAXJA Member #1100
I've been reading some info about using Wagoneer and Durango steering boxes in TJ's as a "cheap" upgrade vs ARG and PSC ($170 for a Durango box at Autozone w/lifetime warranty, vs $300+ for AGR/PSC). I tried searching on here but didn't really come up with anything on the subject. So, has anyone tried running a Durango steering box on their XJ? Or one for a Wagoneer for that matter?

Do a search on the Jeepspeed forums. The big secrect for them is using a box out of a Camaro with a certain handling package. Its a direct bolt-in, has quicker lock-to-lock, and bigger-better-stronger internals.

I'm running a box from a '99 Durango on mine now. The steering assist is MUCH better. It's "almost" a bolt in. The piston is larger than the stock XJ box, so I needed to put a couple of washers between the steering box tabs and the C-ROK inner plate on mine. You could also modify the inner plate to fit. It would require welding on some taller spacers in place of the current ones. Everything else fits great.

shimmy said:
is this a direct bolt in? or do ya have to change anything, pump, pitman arm?

brandon

That's part of what I'm trying to figure out. From what I've read on TJ forums, it's a direct bolt-in, and uses the stock pitman arm. ARG and PSC list the same p/n for TJ and XJ steering boxes, so I'm ass-u-me'ing that a Durango box is a direct bolt-in for an XJ as well... :repair:

YellaJeep has two very good write ups on this subject. The only possible problem is the Durango box might have spacers that would have to be removed, any box shop should be able to do it.

I bought my box off car-parts.com for 65 bucks. Box should fit in no problem, just waiting to get some steel and do the steering brace before installing it.

BillR said:
I'm running a box from a '99 Durango on mine now. The steering assist is MUCH better. It's "almost" a bolt in. The piston is larger than the stock XJ box, so I needed to put a couple of washers between the steering box tabs and the C-ROK inner plate on mine. You could also modify the inner plate to fit. It would require welding on some taller spacers in place of the current ones. Everything else fits great.

[mental note]Bill seems to always be one step ahead of me, so I'll just PM him first about stuff before posting... haha![/note]

:D

Thanks for the info Bill, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Jeepin Jason said:
[mental note]Bill seems to always be one step ahead of me, so I'll just PM him first about stuff before posting... haha![/note]

:D

Thanks for the info Bill, that's exactly what I was looking for.
A step ahead of YOU??? :laugh3:
I've been watching your XJ before I ever started on this one. I got the idea on the Durango box from Yellaheap, so he knows more about it than I do. The D'go box seems to be the same size as a 1980 J-20 box. The J-20 has a 4th mounting tab that's not needed on ours. it still fits though after spacing it away from the frame a little.

Back