• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB Motorcycle

trevanator

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys just thought I would ask around. I am looking to buy a motorcycle. street legal but thats where my preference stops lol. really I am looking at anything and everything. so please let me know what you have to offer.
Heres the catch. I dont really want to spend more than like 1600 bucks.
I know that isnt a lot but I know I can get something for it as well. It is going to be my first street legal bike so if it isnt perfect that is perfectly fine.
I know there are some riders on here so just let me know what you have.
Thanks guys.

It will be tough to find anything for $1600 with summer approaching (and gas prices climbing). It seems the rule of thumb for motorcycles in SoCal is: "if it runs, it's minimum $2000". Year, make, mileage or salvage title is irrelevant.

Now, don't assume that I believe in this rule. I did sell a 1985 Honda Shadow VT500 last Summer for $1500 to a friend. I picked it up for $500 and put $400 into it to get it running and road worthy.

So, if you are familiar with bikes and willing to put in some work you could find one for less than $2k.

Good luck and I will be sure to keep and eye out for you.

you wont get a sportbike for that unless you go for a small starter bike like an ex250r or maybe ex500r. if you can save another 300-400 you can probably find a sv650, which is an aweosme bike and great for beginners as well. you can also get an older kawi vulcan or honda shadow for probably around your price range, but those are metric cruisers. i would save a few hundred more and get the sv650 if it were me. they handle better, stop better, and do better with damage for when you drop it.

Whats the purpose of the bike? Fun or commuter? Twisties or MPG? If its for MPG I wouldnt be looking at everything. In my experience all bikes don't get as good mpg as you think. I used to ride a 2005 ZX6R and it got around 35mpg no matter how I rode it. If you want something with really good mpg you are going to sacrifice fun. For a commuter, anything less than 40 I would be looking for a small four banger. My DD is a POS 1992 Nissan Sentra and it gets 38 mpg with over 225k on the clock. Sure I could get over 40 with new tires and an alignment along with a tune up. Car was free from the inlaws but you could pick one up cheap on CL and have your coffee on the way to wok in the morning. Dont blame ya for looking for a bike though. I loved mine and would love to a Harley now. Good luck and do your research.

And most important....Rubber side down.

Matt

Whats the purpose of the bike? Fun or commuter? Twisties or MPG? If its for MPG I wouldnt be looking at everything. In my experience all bikes don't get as good mpg as you think. I used to ride a 2005 ZX6R and it got around 35mpg no matter how I rode it. If you want something with really good mpg you are going to sacrifice fun. For a commuter, anything less than 40 I would be looking for a small four banger. My DD is a POS 1992 Nissan Sentra and it gets 38 mpg with over 225k on the clock. Sure I could get over 40 with new tires and an alignment along with a tune up. Car was free from the inlaws but you could pick one up cheap on CL and have your coffee on the way to wok in the morning. Dont blame ya for looking for a bike though. I loved mine and would love to a Harley now. Good luck and do your research.

And most important....Rubber side down.

Matt
what he said. i've gotten as little as 40 miles to a 4.5gal tank, but that's some pretty agressive riding. typically 90-110 miles per 4 gallon tank is normal, so about 35-40mpg. the only saving grace over a car is lane splitting IMO.
i ride my bike across town to pick up tools and whatnot because it's all stop and go, so it helps there. other than that, i dont save much. it is fun on a nice day though.
another thing you need to think about is maintnence. chains, sprockets, clutches, tires, fluids, for seals, wheel bearings, all cost some coin and need replacing more frequently than similar items on a car.

I commute 80 miles a day on my 1995 FZR1000. It has 70,000 miles on it and gets 35-36mpg this week. Tires are $300-$400 a set and get you about 4,000 miles rear and 8,000miles front (roughly). People who say they bought a bike to save money are lying if they got a sportbike. haha

Wow, silverslk, what tires are you running that cost $300+ but only get 4k miles per rear and 8k front?

Are you running touring tires or track tires?

I ride and '07 R6 I bought brand new and have put 55k miles on it. I typically get 8-10k miles per set of tires that usually cost me $250 mounted.

Yeah, a little more info on what the bikes intended use is for would help in the search.

Wow, silverslk, what tires are you running that cost $300+ but only get 4k miles per rear and 8k front?

I ride and '07 R6 I bought brand new and have put 55k miles on it. I typically get 8-10k miles per set of tires that usually cost me $250 mounted.

Yeah, a little more info on what the bikes intended use is for would help in the search.
i never got more than 1500 miles out of a set lol
i've tamed down some though.

Hey guys thanks for the all of the help.
I am not looking for a commuter I bought a brand new car 2011 corolla last summer and I love it and that is my commuter to and from fullerton to corona and my everyday car so my xj can keep the miles down and not suck gas that thirsty Beoch lol
No I want something just for fun just to have and get used to and see what I like.
Personally I really dont want a sport bike. I have been riding dirtbikes since I was like 5 and that position is much more what I am comfortable with.
So really something like a supermoto would be ideal but I know those are going for more like 3 grand at the least.
I am more than happy to put work into a bike I know my way around a car and a bike fairly well and have a couple friends that can fill in the blanks when my knowledge runs out.
Tomorrow I am going to look at an 82 honda knighthawk cb 450. That kind of bike would by fun I think because its more of a straight up position and more laid back to just have fun on. The guy is asking 1900 but he is negotiable on the price and it may be a possibility as it is really clean at first glance but I will definitely be diving into it when I look.
As for maintance yeah I know there is quite a bit more that is what a few friends have told me and have shown me but I am okay with that as this is going to be a weekend bike basically and just for me to get out on a nice day you know.
Thanks for keeping an eye out guys please let me know for sure if you see something you think may be worth it.
I would be willing to go a little more like 2k I can spend more I am just choosing not to for my first bike because it is my first bike and even though I am experience riding in the desert the street is totally different.

Hey John thanks for the offer but I dont really want a scooter I have ridden them and to be honest they are way fun lol but I want a bit bigger and "cooler" lol thank you though I do appreciate your offer. Always good to hear from you.

wind screens are your friend, i cant ride a bike without one on the highway. a sportbike with fairings is far more comfortable to ride than a cruiser with no wind protection IMO. i had a kawi vulcan, it was a PITA on longer distances, hard on the back trying to pull yourself forward against 80+mph winds for half hour or more.

don't forget to look at standards. Way more comfortable than a sportbike or a cruiser. The upright seating position keeps the pressure off your wrists or lower back.

I was able to pick up a GS750 last spring that needed some love for 600. Tires were 100 ea. (Don't need super sticky tires for noob riding) chain was 80. Don't forget your gonna need to send a few hundred on safety gear.

Souske I think that standard is actually what I am more leaning towards actually. I have seen a couple of the GS bikes and the like and I like those I like the look and the position so I am more leaning towards that.
Yes safety gear is something I have a lot of and I am going to obtain more I just need a street style helmet ill look like a dork with my moto helmet lol
Thank you all for the advice definitely helps me out.
If anyone has something for sell please let me know.
Thanks again everyone the naxja family is always nothing buy nice to me I am greatful for all of you.

Check out:

TheGSresources.com

Great little community, most everyone is nice and helpful like naxja. There is also a CL thread, and bikes for sale. I have the same username over there.

Last Summer I picked up a 1600 Mean Streak w/ lots of custom work done. Got a smokin deal on it from a buddy who upgraded to an Ultra Classic. Best decision I've made in YEARS! I love hoppin on & goin for a ride. Van has a point tho - Ridin @ 80 or better gets a little rough depending on the gear your wearing, Not to mention any headwinds! Do it! You'll love it!

Might as well continue the hi-jack.

Dunlop GP-A's.....(sale price at JC motors $220 rear/ $160 front) those are good for about 4k rear and 8k front when riding a GSXR750 on Ortega every Sunday. :shhh:

I just installed some Dunlop RoadSmart II's ($177 rear/ $130 front without installation). The place I bought from says they have a customer with a Busa getting 17k on a set. We will see.

Hey guys sorry been out for a couple days with a minor surgery.
I think I have found the bike I am going to buy a friend is going to sell me his supermoto for a really good price. I almost cant pass it up but I am going to sleep on it this weekend and decide.
Thanks for all of our guys help. And no big deal on the hi jack it was good info on tires actually.
Ill just find a thread of yours to hi jack later get a little payback lol.
Thanks again guys.

Back