• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB HP30 & power steering pump

md21722

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for a good HP30 non-disconnect that doesn't leak out of the axle seals. Condition of u-joints & ball joints is unimportant.

Also looking for a PS pump compatible with 97+ XJ's. No noise when cold & no leaks.

Thanks,
Brian

I have my HP30 with 4.11s still

Real need for another one is project Jeep here has enlarged/elongated ball joint holes on the drivers side. I figure the easiest thing to do is replace the axle.

Spicer upper ball joint drops right in and spins, no press. Lower is a little better, goes in 3/4 of the way before the press would do any work. It's not a defective Spicer part as I have known good spares laying around and they do the same thing.

Found some lowers at NAPA that would bite enough but struggling with the upper. I mean, they're not supposed to drop in 3/4 of the way before a press is needed so only about 1/8" of the splines would actually bite anything.

Rather replace the axle than end up with some special concoction of parts that may work/be of dubious quality.

Last edited:
ream it and use a tapered insert?

Pretty sure he is talking about the holes in the C's that the ball joint installs into, not the tapered holes in the knuckles.

:gee: So I'm a retard, you're saying??

Pretty sure he is talking about the holes in the C's that the ball joint installs into, not the tapered holes in the knuckles.

Yup, the bores in the axle C's. Since the axle is a plain jain stocker it'll just go on the scrap pile and get replaced. A knuckle fitment issue would be too easy. My guess is some previous owner put in $5 ball joints which deformed the bores. It was quite a scene in there, with the left knuckle axle shaft a good 1/4" lower than the right side which still had the factory ball joints which were also shot but still replaceable.

Last edited:
Back