• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WOULD YOU BUY THIS????

1sickhick

NAXJA Forum User
Ok i broke my d35.So I started serching for a D44.Found one "TRUE TRACK", 3.55 dirct bolt on.$600.00.WHAT DO YOU FELLAS THINK WORTH IT??

JACK

A new Detroit Tru-Trac is only $350. You will undoubtedly need to regear from 3:55's, so the price of gears is moot. People sometimes get Tru-Tracs confused with lunchbox lockers, so whatever you decide, I would remove the cover and take a look to make sure. Seems a bit expensive to me. Everybody (including Wrangler people) look for D-44's. I would consider either the 8.25 in the 29-spline years or better yet, a Ford 8.8 out of a 07 or later Explorer. That's what I have and got 31-spline axles, a huge ring grear, crazy stongs tubes and disk brakes, all for $150. Easy swap with new perches ($40), add a Tru-Trac or other locker (Tru-Trac is about $400 for the 8.8), and gears ($200 with a master kit). In all, you would be under $800, but would include the gears, have disk brakes and be stronger than the 44.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
1sickhick said:
Ok i broke my d35.So I started serching for a D44.Found one "TRUE TRACK", 3.55 dirct bolt on.$600.00.WHAT DO YOU FELLAS THINK WORTH IT??

JACK

depends, whats your current lift/gears setup?. I would check it out. If your running stock gears, I would get it. Tru Tracs are expensive. If it hasn't been thrashed too hard, I would try and get it for a lower price.

You won't be able to regear lower with that TruTrac anyway. Their break is at (numerically) 3.55 and down and 3.73 and up.

jk333 said:
depends, whats your current lift/gears setup?. I would check it out. If your running stock gears, I would get it. Tru Tracs are expensive. If it hasn't been thrashed too hard, I would try and get it for a lower price.

5.5"lift 3.07 stock,aussie locker,33x12.5 firestone destanation mt on 15x10.It's a big patch of tire.Thats how my 35 broke.

Timber said:
You won't be able to regear lower with that Truetrac anyway. Their break is at (numerically) 3.55 and down and 3.73 and up.
So I can't regear without a new locker or caryer(sp)

JACK

1sickhick said:
So I can't regear without a new locker or caryer(sp)

JACK

you can get "thick" gears for a 44

You can regear up to 4.56 at which point you will have to buy a different carrier.

I know this to be fact since I have 4.56 in a D44 with a NoSlip in the original carrier with 'thick' gears. . . .

I don't think the price is THAT bad. It's high, and definitely not a steal but it's up to you. D44s go for 150~300 here in SoCal. And IF it has a Detroit Trutrac, that another 250~400 with shipping. So you're looking at a combined price of 400 to 700 buckaroos. It's on the high side, but it's not completely unreasonable.

1sickhick said:
Please xplain?? I've never heard of "thick"gears.:wierd:

the pinion gets smaller as the ratio goes up and the ring gear has to move laterally to engage the pinion. This either done by having the carrier moved over laterally, OR by 'thickening' the ring gear so that it can engage the pinion.

a junkyard 8.8 and a new aussie locker are going to cost less than that.
I'm in my 8.8 swap for about $250, including the price of the axle from the junkyard.
Mopar performance has beefy perches for $10 a PAIR.
the spicer flange adapter will cost you 60 or 70 bucks.
Make sure that the 8.8 you get has all the brake parts, or it will get expensive.
Seems to me like now is the time to go beef, grab a 4.10 geared 8.8 and redo the front to match.
Your clutch will thank you.

Back