• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Working on my new 8.8 axle

Boudroux

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
This is all in good fun.

So I'm not scared of trying something new, (NO Mako that doesn't mean I will go "hunting" with you on one of your man scout trips) and I'm shooting for doing this entire project myself with the exception of the final welding. Hopefully I pull it off.

Yesterday I removed all the insides and cut off the junk on the outside of the axle and learned the following:

First thing I learned was using a cut off wheel and flap disk wearing an outfit like this might not be a good idea.
4939691848_4779159922_b.jpg

Second no matter how rad your hipster beard and tight fit carharts are you really need some ear protection.
If its a sparkin its a cuttin, right up until about the wheel is 1/16" larger than the disk holding it to the angle grinder, at which point the sparks change from good to bad.
A flap disk will make the metal within an inch of the target really F'ing hot.
It's best to not keep your open beer within arms reach of where you are grinding, unless of course you like the taste of metallic beer.
It is much harder than you think to smoke a cigaratte, hold a beer and use a angle grinder all at the same time.
Using a flap disk is a lot like being a teenager having sex for the first time, you gotta push for sure but push too hard and you will be reaching for a new disk really fast.
Kids can in fact knock a axle sitting on jack stands off no matter how much you told your wife that it is secure, safe and the kids would never be able to push it off the stands.
Finally, a deaf 85 year old neighbor can absolutely hear you grinding at 11 O'clock at night even when she isn't wearing her hearing aids and can then yell loud enough to get your attention over the sound of the grinder, through ear muffs from 25' away.

Shuttlecocks, hipster beards and grinding wheel dust beers, sounds like good times.

Good on you for grinding at 11pm, people gotta get over this expectation of quiet.

A quick google search and I didn't find an answer.

I was kind of hoping to have all the new brackets welded before I started putting in the gears and bearings and such. However I just noticed an email from the company I ordered the brackets from and they are back ordered and my gears will arrive first.

Will welding after the axle has all the guts shoved in be a bad idea?

That is RWK, but your welcome :D

In a perfect world you will weld to the tubes with nothing in it or on it, and with it standing on end. And when / if you went to the center, a HD cover is securely attached till it full cools. But this is seldom the case.

Opened my box of Ruff Stuff mounting hardware. I think I got the wrong stuff, it looks like they shipped me spring perches for a sherman tank, holy crap this stuff is heavy duty.

Should have the axle tacked up this afternoon.

Opened my box of Ruff Stuff mounting hardware. I think I got the wrong stuff, it looks like they shipped me spring perches for a sherman tank, holy crap this stuff is heavy duty.

Should have the axle tacked up this afternoon.

Yeah, Ruff Stuff perches are pretty beefy.

David Bricker / SYR

I got the thing welded up today. It worked out perfect for me. A buddy who is a good welder needed to borrow my dump trailer so he came over and hooked me up.

Tomorrow I attempt to install the gears.

That is RWK, but your welcome :D

In a perfect world you will weld to the tubes with nothing in it or on it, and with it standing on end. And when / if you went to the center, a HD cover is securely attached till it full cools. But this is seldom the case.

what difference will it make to have the axle standing on end?

Makes it much easier to weld around the radius of the tube

I guess you could also argue that having it laying down the tube is slightly biased in one direction, but thats really splitting hairs

Back