• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will Rita cause change?

Ludakris

NAXJA Forum User
So the US is about to be hit by another large hurricane, with this our oil refineries and natural gas production is going to take a major hit. The idea of alternative fuels has to be brought up, but will the government or society step up and take notice? Or will we sit by and think this is a freak thing that could wont happen again? Earlier reports stated that our biggest threat was from Terrorist attacks on our oil supply, but then mother nature stepped in. What would have happened if both events happened? Am I alone on these concerns?

what ive learned is, being concerned about it wont change sh*t!!! Just relax and enjoy the ride. Its less stressfull that way.

I think, just like the speculators who buy and sell futures, that the news industry managment, owners and stock holders have alot of money invested in the oil futures market, I hope none of you think that corporate profits just sit in a savings account somwhere, billions get invested and guess where. If they can give the speculators some help in causing panic buying and driving up prices they will and in the bargain they make alot of money. It would be interesting to see just how much of say Ted Turners and or Jane Fondas and other corporate execs portfolios are invested in oil and gas futures. I would be willing to bet it's a sizeable amount and they are in the unique position to influence and cause panics just by their access to millions of viewers and listeners.
Like I have said before, if EVERYBODY STOPPED BUYING GAS for a week or two except for commuting you would see prices drop and they would drop fast.
The next shortage you will hear about is home heating oil, thats the next big 'cant do without' market that they can inflate. Just look at the price of kerosene. One of the managers at sheetz, local large chain gasmart, that I know mentioned they have not had a kero delivery in 5 months, they paid .75 a gallon and if you look that same kero thats been in the tanks for 5+ months is now $2.78...shortage my azz.
But until people wake up it's not going to happen.

very unfortunately katrina/rita has been good news for canada....alberta just announced a 7 billion budget surplus thanks in no small part to exhorbitant oil prices...but the only people benefitting are the already rich!

richp is right, stop buying gas!

RichP said:
I think, just like the speculators who buy and sell futures, that the news industry managment, owners and stock holders have alot of money invested in the oil futures market, I hope none of you think that corporate profits just sit in a savings account somwhere, billions get invested and guess where. If they can give the speculators some help in causing panic buying and driving up prices they will and in the bargain they make alot of money. It would be interesting to see just how much of say Ted Turners and or Jane Fondas and other corporate execs portfolios are invested in oil and gas futures. I would be willing to bet it's a sizeable amount and they are in the unique position to influence and cause panics just by their access to millions of viewers and listeners.
Like I have said before, if EVERYBODY STOPPED BUYING GAS for a week or two except for commuting you would see prices drop and they would drop fast.
The next shortage you will hear about is home heating oil, thats the next big 'cant do without' market that they can inflate. Just look at the price of kerosene. One of the managers at sheetz, local large chain gasmart, that I know mentioned they have not had a kero delivery in 5 months, they paid .75 a gallon and if you look that same kero thats been in the tanks for 5+ months is now $2.78...shortage my azz.
But until people wake up it's not going to happen.

In the good ol' days of make-believe-history the owner of a company was a Barnum in the business world. Investors were rubes: a new one born every minute. The owner bamboozled investors into giving him tons of money which he used as he saw fit. The primary rule was, never use your own money. If the investors' money disappeared (usually into the owner's pockets) - tough sh!t. In the business world today, the gamblers own the house. That would never fly in Vegas. When did the gamblers take over the house in the business world? Or was my fantasy never reality. Have the players always owned the house?

As you say, the owners have invested their winnings back into the company. What happened to the rule of never using your own money? Greed happened. To get anything back on that they have to control the speculation markets. That's not free market - that's "owned" market and it's just exactly the way they like it. And, it has nothing to do with whether you can afford to get to work, or not.

but gasoline is not the only thing at stake, what about heating oil, natural gas, propane, etc.
there are many alternatives to these and ways to work around them..wouldnt public support help to alter the country? Solar, bio resources, wind, geothermal, recycling, etc.
I understand this goes against my hobby of jeeps, cars, etc, but i figure if you can save in other areas, your still helping the cause..

Ludakris said:
but gasoline is not the only thing at stake, what about heating oil, natural gas, propane, etc.
there are many alternatives to these and ways to work around them..wouldnt public support help to alter the country? Solar, bio resources, wind, geothermal, recycling, etc.
I understand this goes against my hobby of jeeps, cars, etc, but i figure if you can save in other areas, your still helping the cause..

If somone came out tomorrow with a generator that cost $1000, replaced a standard toilet and generated enough electricity from feces and urine to power the average home it would dissapear as would the inventor.

One of our local towns here is in the middle of a fight with a power company that put up 2 dozen windmills to generate power, their goal is to tax the profit from the electricity they generate, they want to tax the propery and towers seperately AND tax the profit from the power. To me thats wrong, tax one or the other but not both. Then there is the fight going on out on cape cod over wind generators there that was sponsored by Ted K. He pushed it thru base on almost free electricity for the whole cape, then once it was passed it was discovered the power would be fed into the grid and the company would make money off of a federally subsidized and backed project.

RichP said:

Rich,
That's one of the most interesting observations I've heard in a long time. After thinking about it for a few hours after reading it, I concur. Give yourself some emeralds.... :)
Jeff

Back