• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why not a 2" Shackle? (searched)

BruteXJ

NAXJA Forum User
A buddy and I put a RR 2" BB on his '00 XJ with the front coil spacers, 1 1/2" shackles, and 1/2" axle blocks. He's happy with it and no problems after six months.

I want to do a 2" BB on mine as well. I've got the coil spacers for the front, but I'm wondering about some 2" shackles (for simplicity's sake), but have found only one on the market.
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/3402.html?mv_pc=froogle

Because I've found only one, and no mention of 2" XJ shackles on NAXJA, I'm wondering if this is a bad idea. Suspension geometry leaps to mind as every dealer out there sells 1 1/2" lift shackles, but not 2".
I've called the manufacturer, but of course they only know good things about their product.

For simplicity's sake, I'd like to go with just hockey pucks and shackles for the 2". This is not my big project Jeep, just the light terrain weekend wheeler and DD. We'll get down and dirty with my next MJ or CJ.

I say get a 1.5" shackle, something like Teraflex's kit. The 2" shackle is a lot of leverage on that leaf mount, it will probably flex a lot causing some hairy road manners. I know of people using Chevy 2" drop shackles for 2" of lift, and they have buckeled under wheeling conditions because they are simply not meant for this kind of abuse.

Just for the record, a 2" shackle will yield about 1" of lift because of the geometry.

Yeah, 2" net lift, not 2" longer.

After calling both the distributor and manufacturer of this product, I was still a bit unclear as to whether it was 2" longer or yeilded 2" of lift.

Last edited:
BruteXJ said:
Yeah, 2" net lift, not 2" longer.

After calling both the distributor and manufacturer of this product, I was still a bit unclear as to whether it was 2" longer or yeilded 2" of lift.

Ask them how long the shackles are, from frame to spring eyes.

hmmm

ask them how much a front shackle lift is

then realise that a 4" longer than stock shackle will kill your pinion angle
then realise that there is a good reason that no one makes them...

T=F*L

Timmay said:
I say get a 1.5" shackle, something like Teraflex's kit. The 2" shackle is a lot of leverage on that leaf mount, it will probably flex a lot causing some hairy road manners. I know of people using Chevy 2" drop shackles for 2" of lift, and they have buckeled under wheeling conditions because they are simply not meant for this kind of abuse.
I'm sorry but if you buy crap it will break no matter what rig you put it under.I ran the 2" chevy drop shackes with a 14 bolt rear and 38s on my XJ at BOTW when it was in colorado few years back . No problems. Just put another set on my little jeep with 33s

slowrider said:
I'm running the 1.5" lift shackles and they drag quite a bit, that'll just get worse with the longer ones.
UMM NO the distance from the center of the tire to the bottom of the shackle will not change.The body will move higher

Last edited:
what the heck happened to the delete button

Last edited:
Led said:
I'm sorry but if you buy crap it will break no matter what rig you put it under.

I concur.
Guess the manufacturer of these gems...
picture.JPG

...I ended up welding in a gusset to fix them since they bent so easily...
picture.JPG

I second the lowering shackles. i forgot the brand of them but i ordered them at oreilys auto parts store.

they required a little trimming of the bushing to make fit into the xj shackle box.

I have had Rocky Road Outfitters greasable shackles for over 3 years with no problems to compensate for the weight of a rear tire carrier. They netted me between 1-1/2 to 2" of lift. Yes they will change your pinion angle but that's what shims are for.

Good enough. I've got some shims laying around from a previous lift. I figure I'll just go with the 1.5" lift shackles and a .5" block for now. My rear rides a bit low due to my kayaking gear and bike on the rear.....maybe a 1" block.

I love the OME systems, but $900.00 is way beyond me right now.

here's reasons number 1 and 2 for not running real long shackles (Jes' pics from Fordyce trip)
standard

standard

The other thing is that if you do lift shackles with a stock spring pack, which is pretty flat, you will be able to negatively arch the springs pretty easily and they will start to sag quickly.

Back