• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why I won't be doing any wheeling this year.

Eric, results show you're putting thought into this! Your clean work area is impressive.
How are you cutting your plate? Plasma then clean up with grinder?
Jig saw? Cutting disk in grinder?

Yes cutting disk in grinder.

I also have a 7" circular saw with metal cutting blades but it has about a 1/4" kerf and is much less accurate. I've found that the 4 or 4.5" cutting disks at Harbor Freight do pretty well and actually cut faster than the DeWalt ones I've used.

I do like the work area clean so I do most of my cutting outside on the side of the garage. I know the neighbors appreciate that too. :laugh:

I've found that the 4 or 4.5" cutting disks at Harbor Freight do pretty well and actually cut faster than the DeWalt ones I've used.

They also also great at causing cancer. Next time you look at them, take a look on the packaging, there is a carcinogenic warning on them. A bunch of us over in the NAC used to use them until we actually read the packaging.

Looking good otherwise.

Dust particles created as the disks wear down. I should wear a mask more often.... The good news is I don't breathe this stuff nearly as much when I cut outdoors as opposed to inside.

I switched over to redline discs... they last about 10x as long as the HF discs and don't have carcinogen warnings on the label....expensive though.

Since I can't justify the cost of a plasma, I've used a cheap jigsaw to cut 1/4" plate. Sure, it's slow going, even with lots of cutting oil, but it beats the risk of shattering a thin grinding blade. And it doesn't cause cancer...least not yet.

Yes cutting disk in grinder.

I also have a 7" circular saw with metal cutting blades but it has about a 1/4" kerf and is much less accurate. I've found that the 4 or 4.5" cutting disks at Harbor Freight do pretty well and actually cut faster than the DeWalt ones I've used.

I do like the work area clean so I do most of my cutting outside on the side of the garage. I know the neighbors appreciate that too. :laugh:

i got a cheap chinese Cut50 plasma for $300 shipped on ebay and it works suprisingly well. i used it to build everything on my jeep, and there was A LOT of cutting, mostly 3/16" plate.

updates?wtf eric get this going!!!
:D Things have been moving slow and nothing really pic worthy but progress is being made. Things should pick up this month. Here's what I've got done since last update:

- finished welding quarter panels to tube
- added a couple more braces in the back
- dropped T&T bellypan and removed t-case
- ordered some goodies to freshen up the Atlas (billet knobs, shifter boot, new speedo gear, gear oil and breather kit, and site tube kit) but, the site tube kit was the wrong size (didn't know there were different sizes) so had to send it back. Now just waiting for AA to send the right one so I can fill it up and install it.

i just wanna say this is the most amazing build i have ever seen, the quality of the work is just awe-inspiring

Finished up some of the rear bracing and added a support for the c-pillar bars to the frame rail.

7155.jpg

7159.jpg

Back