• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which tire and wheel combo?

jlh

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have been reading through searched posts for a 3 days now and have a couple of questions?

I am picking up a 95 sport 4dr tomorrow and it is going to need tires right away. I can't do the lift yet but would like to prepare for it. I am going to get BFG AT's but I am not sure what size?

Here are the combos I was thinking about:

30x9.5x15 on stock rims
30x9.5x15 on 15x8 Rock Crawlers or similar black wagon wheels
30x9.5x15 on 15x7 Rock Crawlers or similar black wagon wheels

31x10.5x15 on stock rims
31x10.5x15 on 15x8 Rock Crawlers or similar black wagon wheels
31x10.5x15 on 15x7 Rock Crawlers or similar black wagon wheels

Also with the aftermarket rims what kind of back space would I need

Thanks

jlh said:
31x10.5x15 on stock rims
Also with the aftermarket rims what kind of back space would I need
Thanks

backspacing depends on how much you want to hack the fenders... less (numericaly) backspacing pushed the tires out, and would require more trimming...

throw the 31's on the stock rims and save yourself $125.

with that 125 you just saved, buy a budget boost with shocks, and call it good...

make sure to get a full size spare...

I assume you understand that "most likely" you will need to trim or add bump stops to make either the 30 or 31's fit on a stock xj. There have been some that have been able to make them fit, but most do not fit without some mods to trim and or bump stops.

Having said that, you can put them on stock rims. If you are going to spend money on new rims get them sized for the tires you eventually plan to use. A 31" tire will stay on a 7" rim better than a 8" rim when aired down.

BS should be somwhere between 3.75 to 4.5 depending on tires, lift, etc, etc, etc. 4.0 - 4.25 is probably the best all around assumption.

Hth,
Michael

Back