• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which FRS?

We all know how to program the chinese one. If you can figure out how to use chirp to program the midlands one, the spreadsheet is available on the internet with the frequencies. But you have to do the work to figure out how to program it. The process we use for the UV5-R's is different.

I have been researching that. I think im going to go with the baofeng BF-F9 which is programmable just like the UV5R is. At least thats how im understanding it. You can either program it with the key pad on the transceiver or with a computer?

If the UV5R does the same thing as the 9 with less watts and thats what everyone has then ill just buy a couple of those. Having common equipment in an area i know very little about should help.

That is basically the exact same one that the SEC bought. The Chapter owns 12 of them. We got the UV-5RA.

Over the course of the crawl we had all 12 of them all over the mountain for 2 days and I heard NO complaints...even with it being in a mountainous terrain.

That is basically the exact same one that the SEC bought. The Chapter owns 12 of them. We got the UV-5RA.

Over the course of the crawl we had all 12 of them all over the mountain for 2 days and I heard NO complaints...even with it being in a mountainous terrain.

...and heavy southern accents.....

Thanks for the info. I will pick one up so i meet the "suggested requirements"

EDIT: After some amazon research ive concluded what these are. I saw someone mention Baofeng. I was looking at the UV5-R model. i saw those listed but i was thinking of going with Midlands GXT 1000VP4 series. Its a set and comes with charger included. But i see that you have to be able to program the frequency for the group.

Is that possibly by someone in the group or do we need a specific style radio for that?

We ( the MWC chapter) will be selling the ones we have left over from last year. At WF check in

Ram" I have FRS radios for sale" Rod

Damn i didnt make it to WF last year. Can i still get my radio if i paid? :D i think ill be getting a few of the Baofeng radios everyone has for the family, brother in law has the midlands in mexico and they love them even in mountains when rounding up cattle they said they work great.

I may have to get me one of these. The freebies from last year work ok but I'm sure these work much better at farther distances?

Are you going supervise all the mouth hugs? Make sure nobody cuts their time short

so here's the deal.

the chinese don't care much about the FCC. techinically an FRS radio must be limited to less than 4W(?) ERP and have a non removable antenna that sucks.

the 5r series of radios aren't technically FRS radios, but they operate in those frequencies. They have removable antenna.

So you buy a 5r, and a 771 whip antenna and while technically breaking the FCC law, you end up with an FRS radio that kicks ass.

If you want to be fully legit you can get a GMRS license from the FCC and only use those 20 channels, but whatever, stick it to the man.

They come blank, with no programming. So we program them up with a PC so that the frequencies are all preset and have a friendly name. They are capable of VHF TX, so don't do that. or someone will track you down. The amateur radio people take that serious.
it will also do weather bands, global emergency frequencies, FM radio, and marine VHF.
overall it's just a handy walkie that does a lot of stuff for the dirt cheap.
and you don't have to feed it AA batteries.

*87manche and NAXJA do not condone violating the FCC rules. Use at your own risk. not responsible for any fines or stay in the FPMITA prison.

Any handheld radio capable of computer programming can be programmed with chirp.

But like Nate said, if you start operating big wattage radios on frequencies that are regulated, you will get zukiron'd into federal fines and prison time.

We use the cheap Chinese ones because they don't violate the power rules just the removable antenna portion of the regulation. All of this is completely at your own risk.

If you'd like to go big, get a license and go ham.

Any handheld radio capable of computer programming can be programmed with chirp.

But like Nate said, if you start operating big wattage radios on frequencies that are regulated, you will get zukiron'd into federal fines and prison time.

We use the cheap Chinese ones because they don't violate the power rules just the removable antenna portion of the regulation. All of this is completely at your own risk.

If you'd like to go big, get a license and go ham.

this.

breaking the rules about an antenna is far different than operating a massively over powered radio on frequencies it shouldn't be on.

also if you look into it, the the boefeng numbers on the bigger radios are vastly over stated. The "8" watt radio barely puts out more than the 5r with the identical antenna, costs more and eats a battery faster.

Just buy a 5r based one and be happy.

That said, FRS is FRS is FRS.
Any FRS radio will talk to every other FRS radio. The 5rs just let you do it with better antennas that increase your receive range, and do some other stuff too. If you want to buy those fancy midlands, our radios will talk to those and you won't have to program anything, as they're locked to the FRS/GMRS frequencies from the factory. techinically you still need a GMRS permit to operate those.

Last edited:
So are most of you guys picking up the 5R buying a better antenna as well?

They have more range because of the larger antenna options and you can program 99 channels, including noaa weather, frs/gmrs, marine channels and fm radio.

Are these pretty commonly used throughout the off road community? I'm assuming if I was able to figure out the frequency on my cheap wally world radios, I could program them into one of these for when we have folks running the non programmables, right?

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart

like I said, these will talk to any other FRS radio. it's all the same frequencies.
If you program them using the prepper image you will get friendly FRS channel names.

my 5r talks to the chapter supplied midland just fine, and the 4 FRS radios we use for the float fly.

Not trying to be obtuse. Nowhere on my radios does it mention FRS and our club uses them. Just trying to ensure compatibility before picking up a different radio.

Not trying to be obtuse. Nowhere on my radios does it mention FRS and our club uses them. Just trying to ensure compatibility before picking up a different radio.

Wally World radios are all FRS unless they are made by Mattel.

Somewhere on the radio (paging Nate) should be FCC info and whatnot for the FRS frequencies.

Post a pic of your radio or the make and model number and I bet we can tell you if it is compatible.

mac 'Nate will know' gyvr

Back