• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to go for regearing?

ColoCherokees

NAXJA Forum User
Going to regear my 96 (30/8.25). Any recommendations on a shop (Denver/Boulder area)?

Also, my 8.25 is probably a 27 spline - since I'm not going bigger than 33s, I'm thinking a 29 spline conversion is a good idea (especially with a limited budget). Any companies/websites I should check out for the parts (new carrier and shafts is all I need, right?) and prices for the conversion?

Thanks,
Matt

Get on colorado4x4.org and hit up rckcrwlin TJ (not sure if thats his exact name) or YJlopes.

i personally know both of those guys.. good guys for sure but i'd probably lean towards having a shop take care of something like this for you. i highly recommend Joshua Lowenstein. Here's his info:

Joshua Lowenstein
Crawlertech 4x4
4785 Elati St. #33
Denver, CO 80216
720-422-4598
Email: [email protected]

He specializes in gear and axle work, steering, suspension repairs and upgrades but is a complete badass at custom tube work too. ask him to see pics of his buggy he owns... :drool:

Wild West Offroad had a following here in Denver/Front Range as being the best place to go for gear and axle work.. prior to them going out of business a several months back, Josh was one of their head techs in the shop so hopefully that gives some validity to his knowledge. plus, he's just a super nice guy.

Let him know the I sent you or you heard about him from the NAXJA board.

Tony has been doing them for years and has a good rep. He might be cheaper than a shop.

Crawlertech 4x4 should do a good job as well.

JonJacobs in Greeley, formerly of Fort Collins, is a wizard, but might not have the location to do them right now.

old_man said:
Tony has been doing them for years and has a good rep. He might be cheaper than a shop.

Crawlertech 4x4 should do a good job as well.

JonJacobs in Greeley, formerly of Fort Collins, is a wizard, but might not have the location to do them right now.

come on now Tom.. nobody is arguing Tony here... I've known Tony for years and had him do work for me early on. definitely a nice guy and for the most part, really does know what he's doing especially with setting up gears. lately, it just seems like there's been more and more mishaps happening with the guys looking to make a living, under the table, out of their garages and the customer gets burned. i know this first-hand.

If i'm coming to an open forum looking for a SHOP to take care of my gearing needs, like the original poster is wanting, that typically means that i'm looking for the backing of a legitimate business to do my work. if i have a random name of a guy or another local shop who's owner was one of the head techs at a leading shop in denver known for doing this kind of work, 100% of the time, i'd go with the shop. It may cost a little more but i'll know where to take my rig if something goes wrong.

besides.. tony's too busy flying planes now. :)

While Tony may have a good rep, I'd still recommend ORI in Centennial over him any day. www.ori-centennial.com and make sure you take a doggie biscuit to Duke, the "Morale Officer" down there.

You guys doing gears now Formatt? I didn't think about you. If so, you should speak up. I am all for supporting our vendors.

As for JJacobs, I have known him for years and have seen tons of gear setups he has done. Other than doing it myself, there is NOBODY I would trust more. I hadn't done gears in about 20 years, I had Jon walk me through it again a couple of years ago. There is no substitute for experience. He knows gears.

Thanks Tom, too bad the muckety-mucks at work won't let me do them there.
No, I won't travel and do them either. I even outright tried to bribe my manager, no dice.

Should I talk to the old man for you :laugh3:

old_man said:
You guys doing gears now Formatt? I didn't think about you. If so, you should speak up. I am all for supporting our vendors.

nah, we're not doing gears. thanks though Tom, for the support. :)

I'm just really into supporting small businesses, ya know? you don't really see all the stuff that goes on in the background until you own your own business... it's definitely opened my eyes a lot.

Back