• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When is a Jeep not a Jeep?

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
When it's a Rocsta, of course.

Been seeing a bunch of Jeep-like vehicles on the streets down here in Chile. Not quite CJs and not quite Wranglers, and the grille doesn't have seven slots. Finally saw a couple parked in a shopping center lot and found a name -- Rocsta. Made by Kia (Asia Division). Very obviously a Jeep clone. Solid axles on both ends. Looks intersting. I wonder if it's equipped such that it might be legal in the U.S.

http://www.4wdonline.com/Kia/Rocsta.html
There's another Jeep clone down here, too, that's not quite as close a copy. Didn't have a scrap of paper to write the name down when I saw one up close and personal. Began with a 'K' -- Komanshu, or something vaguely like that. Anyone ever hear of it? (No, not Kubota, the tractor people)

my teacher went to costa rica or sumthin like that over xmas break. he said you have to rent a 4wd there cause of the bad roads. he said it was very tiny made by kia. crossed a river and the water came up to the windshield.

Gil BullyKatz said:
maybe Komatsu....
DING!

Thank you. Know anything about them?

Eagle said:
DING!

Thank you. Know anything about them?
the komatsu group makes just about everythig, but they are more reknowned (sp?) for their industrial equipment...things such as earth movers, cranes, and other heavy equipment. they have their hands in all kinds of manufacturing.
started in 1917...and has many ties to south american countries and partner ships with the US. chances are that cummins diesel you have has R&D money from komatsu. they have ties to defense industry applications in just about every corner of the globe. even our revered I Harvester had an agreement with them at one time. in fact cummins is owned in large part by komatsu...but they have taken over many key industry partners including heavy hitting german manufactueres of steel castings...
so...doesn't surprise me that they are making cars too.

Yeah, what BiscuitBoy said... they're HUGE
They build a lot of heavy machinery... Bulletproof stuff
Don't let the name fool ya, no cheapo JDM product.

ditto what Gil said.

Own a Komatsu P60 trackhoe, thing is near bulletproof. Dunno how many times ive buried and flipped it, and it just keeps running. Only thing they dont like is being drowned, water plus wiring isnt a good mix.

Mike

Back