• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel hub bolts

Chiefgunner1

NAXJA Forum User
I was exploring some weird noises and pulled my front hub and axle out to check the u-joints, ball joints and any other signs of issues. When putting everything back together, one of the three bolts killed a thread about half way up the threaded end. I was able to clean it up and re-use the bolt, but I would like to get that bolt (and the others if I can) replaced. Anyone have a source to locate those bolts? I would rather not have to go through a dealership just to get some bolts. Not even sure the dealerships could get replacement bolts.

Grade 10.5 or better.

I get mine from a pick and pull yard. I pull several then select then best. That way I am certain I am not using poor quality/lower grade bolts.

I used Lowe's believe it or not... They are reasonably priced. I have a Fastenal store right around the corner from my house and Lowe's beat them handily for selection and price.

I used Lowe's believe it or not... They are reasonably priced. I have a Fastenal store right around the corner from my house and Lowe's beat them handily for selection and price.

I was surprised at the selection of hardware fasteners(nuts/bolts etc) at Lowe's and pretty disappointed at what I could find at Fastenal.

I knew Lowe's had plants. patio furniture, BBQ's and building materials but they beat Home Depot in the nuts and bolts department. Fastenal you'd think would have everything, but our local ACE hardware has them beat too.

Yep around here Ace is the place to go. Home Depot seems to have enough to pass for a hardware store. Fastenal and companies like that can get stuff but you pay out the butt for it if you are a walk in customer without a discounted company account.

Lowes is a home improvement store that happens to sell some hardware. Local hardware stores are the first choice for variety if you need an obscure piece right now. There is a Fastenal here too but everything is always special order for them and if I'm at that point I'm ordering from McMaster instead

Sometimes is pays to go to shops that use the stuff too. Like a good alignment or good exhaust shop depending on what you're doing. Your success will depend on the shop. Other times you can just go to the local suppliers where the professional trades folks go. For example rather than sort through the empty boxes or mixed up boxes at Home Depot for plumbing supplies, I can head down to my local plumbing supply shop who is about the same price if not less and has a seemingly unlimited selection and everything is in stock.

Yeah, Fastenal is not really set up for your walk-in, "Hi, I need just this one bolt, 'kay, thanks" type consumer. They're set up more for businesses (for example, repair shops) that just want to buy all their stuff (especially consumable items like, say, shop towels) from one vendor for a bit more money and avoid the hassle of shopping around for the best price, whatever bidding process they have in place, buying stuff from five different vendors, etc.

Back