• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

The new to me XJ was dropped off overt the weekend. Thanks Rich and Jay for bringing to me. I installed a new battery, new wipers and pieced the dash panel back together with parts from my old XJ. I also removed the stock bumper to start getting it ready for some fender trimming so I can get my custom front bumper on. I will be posting pictures this weekend of the progress.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

266ffc7a2ba694f477c7d4ebfb565eee.jpg

Got the old 86 out of the backyard. It was pushed in 5 years ago and it drove out on outs own power. I am going to miss it for sure. I am using it as a donor for the newer one.

Don't look now, but I'd swear some body stole the hood, tail gate doors and glass? :eek:

Made a short trip today with my 87 Waggy, and the cold morning lifter tick eased up a bit, but then for about 2 minutes and about 20 blocks, it made a mini back fire sound into the intake under load on take off, and had little power, then smoothed out with no more tick and ran as good ever. But I am a bit worried now.

Reminder to self: Check plugs 1 & 2, its been a while since I did, and they like to oil foul and check the Vac hose to the MAP sensor at the throttle body.

If it happens again I may need to rush the minor repairs on the 89 white beast, and inspection, et. al., so I can drive it and start the head job and lifter work on the 87 Waggy.

3 hours later, in the cold rain, she ran and drove fine. I love these self repairing jeeps, LOL

Made a short trip today with my 87 Waggy, and the cold morning lifter tick eased up a bit, but then for about 2 minutes and about 20 blocks, it made a mini back fire sound into the intake under load on take off, and had little power, then smoothed out with no more tick and ran as good ever. But I am a bit worried now.

Reminder to self: Check plugs 1 & 2, its been a while since I did, and they like to oil foul and check the Vac hose to the MAP sensor at the throttle body.

If it happens again I may need to rush the minor repairs on the 89 white beast, and inspection, et. al., so I can drive it and start the head job and lifter work on the 87 Waggy.

Brakes working again

No vibes. Rear end rides so much better with the shackle relocators.

Front end still a bit wandery. Caster is still a problem. And I still need to hook up the front arb

Well my 87 waggy drove fine today. No issues :)

Weather too nasty to work on the rigs.

Don't look now, but I'd swear some body stole the hood, tail gate doors and glass? :eek:
And the seats, carpet and everything else. AND now the front axle!

b5c6f79a8e4a37848ec274a9c0a093eb.jpg

I love the hover XJs. Lol. I wish I was farther along than I am now I the swap but rain and other issues held things up.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Wow that picture its needs help.

Put some trans fluid in, I think it's leaking front the front seal behind the torque converter. Only does it after about 30 miles of highway driving.

20170310_171205_zpssxtp1ft0.jpg

Got started on the 85 clutch MC swap, nearly done, but rain delayed. It is a tight spot on both sides reaching the bolts and nuts.

Worked on salvaging two seemingly dead batteries with my WizBangPlus desulfator tool :)

Seeing signs of life :)

Cleaned the leaves off and out of my rigs, Vac cleaner and compressed air...and got the rain water out of the Saturn floor again :( .Not near as bad as it use to be, nearly fixed. Saturn oil level was unchanged, that was nice to see, but 87 jeep oil level was a quart low. Getting closer to doing that head job valve guides repair. Still need to order the head bolts, Also need to locate and order all the heater hoses for 89 XJ.

Axle project finally done, other than alignment.

Replaced the front lca's and finally got enough caster to make this thing drive properly.

Front ARB is hooked up and working.

Shakedown run successfull. Now I need an off road shakedown

John, I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.... sounds great!

I'm looking forward to actually using it.

Dropping off for a/c repair on Tuesday

Highest test run complete, up to 75, no death wobble

Driving jeep back to back with truck = truck feels like sports car

85 Diesel Jeep clutch Master cylinder is new and working again :)

Had to get under the dash and do it myself, a first in 3 years now, I am healing up some finally. I can lift about 50 lbs more now than I could most of the last 3 years since I took ill. :cheers:

Knees and some joints working better and muscles getting stronger, I remember when it was so bad I could barely lift a glass of water.

Revived two 100% dead batteries last week with my wizbangplus desulfator. Amazing $30 gadget.

Got my jeep back from the ac guy yesterday

He couldn't find a leak. Recharged it and its working fine so far. Hopefully it holds, about time I had a project come in under budget

Back