• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Mike are the rotors warped? I know they are new, but most times I've hade the pulsing it has been warped rotors. But usually you feel it in the wheel a little too. Noise hmm mine has a few noises...

Mike are the rotors warped? I know they are new, but most times I've had the pulsing it has been warped rotors. But usually you feel it in the wheel a little too. Noise hmm mine has a few noises...

Interesting as I do not recall feeling any feedback while braking or not braking in the steering wheel only while braking in the brake peddle and only a thick metallic-tap-knock sound while mildly braking, and pulsing in the brake peddle while medium braking to hard braking at freeway speeds.

Mike are the rotors warped? I know they are new, but most times I've hade the pulsing it has been warped rotors. But usually you feel it in the wheel a little too. Noise hmm mine has a few noises...

Mystery solved for now. It did have notches or deep wear spots in a few places on the brake pad slide rails. I took a flat file and about 60 minutes of hand work to round off and smooth out the transitions on the rails so the pads can slide easily again, and on the new pads that already had some wear/nick/high spot issues in just 5-800 miles, used a nickel anti-seize to lube the slides, cleaned the hub plate surface of some dirt/rust/high spot crap where the hub and the rotor bottom onto each other that might have caused a little miss alignment issue (my helper is not very good at cleaning parts/stuff), and put all back together with new anti-rattle clips. The pulsing pedal feel and rap-knock-tap sound is gone for now. :woohoo:

Looks like the slide knuckle part is just two star bolts away from being removable with out touching the ball joints and the rest of the knuckle assy? Is that right? Are these still available new for an 87 4x4 XJ??? If not I need to find someone that can teach me how to use my new wire welder :)

Also got the used Knock sensor installed in the 87 Waggy block, it has not had a working knock sensor since I bought it 14 years ago. Be interesting to see if I can feel any changes or save any gas. Added a pint of STP and 1 quart of oil to her, still using oil too fast but so far the new spark plugs are not fouling as fast...:cool:

Just passed 290,000 miles on her ODO this week :)

Found a small coolant leak in the heater hose on the white 4x4 87 I recently got running again with a new gas tank and fuel pump. Easy fix, hose clamps are not tight. Now need to solve the title problem and get the registration and inspection done so it can be a DD. Need new wiper blades on the Saturn and white jeep now.

Oh, and I bought a new rotor and caliper today, but ended up not using then yet. Now I suspect the real problem is the worn slide guides on the knuckle that we missed before.

Bought a new harmonic balancer. Is the bolt right or left hand threads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC you turn it clock wise to tighten it. Is that right hand? As I recall its a normal bolt style. I forget the old R-L designations, been too many years LOL.

How are you doing these days?

One thing I do recall is having to use the flex plat bolts to keep the crank shaft from turning while torquing the HB bolt. Also had to remove the bumper I think to get proper access, but its been about 10 years since I replaced one.

Last edited:
About to pull out my HF new, never used, still in the box, bought 4 years ago on sale, wire welder ( TIG?) and try to learn how to use it. Wish me luck folks.

About to pull out my HF new, never used, still in the box, bought 4 years ago on sale, wire welder ( TIG?) and try to learn how to use it. Wish me luck folks.

A friend of my daughter's from HS who is now an aircraft mechanic dropped by today and gave me a hand setting up my new wire welder and testing it out. It works great, had a fun day. Last time he and got together was in 2008 to swap out my 4x4 Waggy transmission.

Drove my 87 waggy later today and found a new issue, a horrible shutter vibration that further testing seems to be the engine shaking wildly only at about 48 mph during mild to heavy acceleration. Guessing the new knock sensor or the wiring to it is causing the engine timing to retard and cause the violent shakes. Brakes are dead quiet for now, no vibration form the pedal, so I guess I need to disconnect the knock sensor I just installed :(

If that does not work, I may have new issue.:nono:

Hope it is indeed the sensor causing the issue, and glad you figured the brakes out.

Put cap rotor wires and coil on the jeep. Made a difference no telling when the last set was put on. Also put the shackles on without a problem at all, the last couple of weeks with pb blaster did it's job. Then I decided to start the folding of the rear wheel well, passenger side is done. Drivers side today if time allows.

What needs to be done to mine:

Re-gear rear axle
Install frame stiffeners
Fab and install rear anti-wrap bar
Fix horn/headlight time off delay
Fix parking brake
Fix front diff yoke (broke a strap bolt pulling driveshaft)
Check the front diff gear install to make sure it won't pop like the rear did.

Will be getting quotes to get all that done after the holidays. Just need to find a shop I can trust to do it right the first time.

Crush,
why the anti-wrap bar?

I have some soft springs, s10/XJ main leaf, and haven't noticed the need for one. Of course I still have the stock shackle.

Using cheap/soft springs. Killed one set so far, don't feel like killing any more.

oh man, which brand? Mine have sagged and thinking of getting aftermarket ones, but again I'm cheap and may just do the s-10 springs again.

Rustys. Im cheap too!

Cheap ha, I have found a full length aal set for $60...probably sag like grandma with it though. I got my cat out last night to find the inlet is flared to the same diameter of the pipe...ugh...hopefully I can fix that tonight...gotta have the jeep by Friday!

Tomorrows agenda is to complete the diagnostics and fix the O2 sensor-lean issue with my 87 Wagoneer and save my dying laptop-main PC by cloning and imaging it before it dies.

Piece of cake LOL.

im listing my xj for sale soon if any of you are interested. basically asking what i have in it for parts even though it needs the head redone. everything else only has 400 miles on it.

4k if anyone is interested.

Man I thought you had it about where you want it. Hope all is well for you and yours.

I got my new cat on today, what a PITA oh well it runs a whole lot better. Amazing what they can do when they can breathe. Should have ordered a muffler too, guess I will sometime. Taking it on a three hour trip tomorrow to the Ouachita National Forest. Sure wish I could've got my lift complete and new tires before deer season started...oh well one thing at a time.

Painting my new front axle this weekend. Gonna try to install next week

im listing my xj for sale soon if any of you are interested. basically asking what i have in it for parts even though it needs the head redone. everything else only has 400 miles on it.

4k if anyone is interested.

Man you are giving up way too easy on that rig. Head jobs are not that hard to do.

Back