• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

Is the linkage right? I'm getting déjà vu. Like someone else recently had this issue and had the linkage upside down

Well, linkage on the tcase side was upside down. Thanks for that!

Seems good now. Fulltime still wasn't working.... but then I remembered I don't have the front drive shaft in.

he should get a 241

That was an idea, instead of having to go with a 231 if I couldn't find another reasonable 242.

242>241>231>205>203
It's simple math ...

Glad someone else understands.

Glad you got it fixed

No speedo for the time being

Crusher I just did the same thing. When I installed the 231 I put the linkage upside down and yea same problem

Its a wonderful thing.

Just replaced the lower control arm bushings. Uppers look okay. Now to go wash it and pick up a speed sensor to put in.

My 84 Diesel XJ needs some TLC :(
Plan was to solve the excessively hard foot clutch so I can drive it again. It is way too stiff, and we got far enough in there to discover a miss alignment of the foot peddle arm assy and the clutch Master cylinder arm. I had previously repaired the foot peddle assy (cracked weld) and later the firewall the MC mounts to with reinforcing plates. That repair may have miss alligned the assy, or there is a very old jeep factory defect.

Also may have installed a heavy duty pressure plate assy about 8 years ago that is adding to the problem. May go back to the Nissan OEM plate as well. This is the rig with the Nissan SD-22 diesel engine-5 speed tranny drive train transplant, that gets me 34 mpgs :)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Trying to fix all the ridiculous noises coming out from the front of my Jeep... But dont know where to look. Tightened the bottom shock bolts and the top nut (which was extremely loose). Got a bunch of popping noises that happen when I give it gas to get going, but I cannot recreate outside of the Jeep.

Also trying to figure out what wire to tap my electric fan controller in so that it only gets power with the ignition on. Any ideas?

Ear plugs? LOL

And try tapping an existing power relay signal wire (tied to the ignition run) to run a new power relay?

Trying to fix all the ridiculous noises coming out from the front of my Jeep... But dont know where to look. Tightened the bottom shock bolts and the top nut (which was extremely loose). Got a bunch of popping noises that happen when I give it gas to get going, but I cannot recreate outside of the Jeep.

Also trying to figure out what wire to tap my electric fan controller in so that it only gets power with the ignition on. Any ideas?

Ear plugs? LOL

And try tapping an existing power relay signal wire (tied to the ignition run) to run a new power relay?

Fans are relayed. Just need to power the fan controller with accessory power. Tapped into the gold/tan wire under the hood since my Chilton's manual said that should have power the way I want it. And it didn't work. Soooo dont know at this point.

Installed new speed sensor, still no speedometer. So thats cool too. Not like I need to get the Jeep inspected or anything.

EDIT: Fixed speedo. Had to turn the speedo gear housing a bit. I'll order a speedo gear later. Need 33s first.

Last edited:
Ed I had a popping noise in my 2000 that drove me crazy too. I finally discovered that my JKS quick disconnects (not sure if you use) their top bushing was shot! Cheap and easy fix getting from JKS.

What tires and gears are you on?

On 32s and 4.56s.

Ed I had a popping noise in my 2000 that drove me crazy too. I finally discovered that my JKS quick disconnects (not sure if you use) their top bushing was shot! Cheap and easy fix getting from JKS.

No sway bar or disconnects on mine. Need to have someone move the Jeep around while I stand outside of it to really locate where the noises are coming from. My front control arms are also sooooooooooo noisy.

That's what I thought. I had that combo for a while. Text me tonight to remind me to look in my toolbox. I might still have that speedo gear.

^^^^^

I was watching the broncos chiefs game last night and remembered the speedo gear. So I got up and went to the garage, poured myself another beer, and went back to the couch completely forgetting the speedo gear.

LOL. Ill shoot you a text sometime this weekend to remind you. The speedo gear is for 32s and 4.56s?

The tranny I just put in started making the midgets with hammers noise in 1,2,3, and reverse. Not 4 or 5. (Also idle)

That sucks D:

Back