• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Is This Part On 96 XJ Alternator?

Thank you Techno! I'll see if I can figure that out and give it a try.

I did a little bit more looking around under the hood today and now I'm not sure if the PDC is correct for this year. Supposedly, the engine is out of a 2000 or 2001 XJ but I can say for sure it does not have the newer style intake, so maybe just the short block?? I looked in the 96 owners manual and they show a diagram of the 96 PDC, it also lists two positions for 60 amp "generator" maxi fuses. When I look at the underhood PDC, I only see one 60 amp maxi fuse and the layout doesn't match the diagram in the owners manual. The PDC cover also has a diagram that does match the PDC but doesn't match the owners manual diagram. Also the external "fusible" link section has two square head bolts with a wire style fusible link between them, but I seem to recall seeing other 96's where those wires were on one single square head bolt with nothing between them. I have no idea if any of this is correct or what the PO has done! I do see alot of wire routing "tabs" not connected to anything allowing the wires to just flap around.

You do have a '96 all right. The 60 AMP fuse is the main fuse out of the PDM to everything in the XJ. Remove that fuse and everything drops dead. The fusible link connects to the alternator. The terminal on the PDM is shared by the battery cable. The other battery cable goes directly to the starter. About 20 years ago I removed the fusible link when I went with all electrical fans and a 180 AMP alternator from the Grand Cherokee. The other side of the PDM that have nothing in it have the provision to use a Mega Fuse which I have installed. You need to source your own fasteners to do this.

To be honest, I forgot there was a fusible link in the XJ. Check it for continuity. That is the only connection between the alternator and the battery.

You do have a '96 all right. The 60 AMP fuse is the main fuse out of the PDM to everything in the XJ. Remove that fuse and everything drops dead. The fusible link connects to the alternator. The terminal on the PDM is shared by the battery cable. The other battery cable goes directly to the starter. About 20 years ago I removed the fusible link when I went with all electrical fans and a 180 AMP alternator from the Grand Cherokee. The other side of the PDM that have nothing in it have the provision to use a Mega Fuse which I have installed. You need to source your own fasteners to do this.

To be honest, I forgot there was a fusible link in the XJ. Check it for continuity. That is the only connection between the alternator and the battery.

Good call Techno thank you! I will check between both ends of the fusible link to make sure it is not open. To be clear, the PDM (where there is a battery cable and alternator ouput bridged with the wire style fusible link??) does currently have two square head fasteners, one on each side. One side has the battery cable, the other has the alternator ouput cable, the two are bridged with the wire style fusible link. It also appears that there is a plate that is part of the circuit and likely provides power to the underhood PDC. What do you think about the owners manual (labled 1996) not matching up with the actual layout inside the PDC and also the diagram within the PDC' cover matching the PDC actual layout but not the owners manual diagram?

Back