• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what gears are people running in the norhwest

XJ longhouse

NAXJA Forum User
I plan on doing gears really soon, what gears are people using, I'm looking to know how the different ratios hold up in the local terrain , I wanna go as low as possible, any failures?

What's your rig setup ?

4:88s with HP Ford up front with an ARB and out back a Ford 9" with a Detroit locker with a Currie high pinion center section. I am running 35" tires, no failures. I will let you know once I run the Rubicon.

Last edited:
Wouldnt do it that way again, my Commando will be done with junkyard parts, and I will be doing most of the labor on the drive train myself this time.

30/8.25 5 speed with 35s and I'm on 4.56s. Freeway is perfect if not a little steep, but I wish for a little steeper on the trails. I would have gone 4.88 if I hadnt gotten a good deal on half my axles.

hp super 30 with 4.88 and eaton elocker, 8.8 31spline, 4.88 lockrite.

35" tires. great street manners, and can run any nw trail ive found.

setup works well and have nevee broken anything after the super30. with 4.88s tho, the d30 pinion gets pretty small. I anticipate that being.my failure point if ever.

a d44 will have a bigger pinion size.

30/35 373 gears 33x12.50x15 mt/r's aussie lockers front and rear. I haven't broken a d35 shaft yet and only taken out a few drivers side d30 shafts. Everything else is peachy.:D

30/8.25
4.56s
35s

The dana 30
With the 4.56s you have more pinion contact with the ring.
Something like 1.3 teeth in contact at all times VS 4.88 is 1 tooth at a time

I inner sleeved, C gusset and trussed my Dana 30.
put a full case in, with a ruff stuff cover.

This took any and all flex out of the housing, now the weakest part of my axle is shafts. But that's an easy trail fix. Gears and bent housings are not.

I've ran with a 5 speed;

3.07s and stock tires
3.07s and 31x10.50s
4.56s and 31x10.50s
4.56s an 35x12.50s

With an auto:

3.55s and stock tires
4.10s and 33x12.50s

That is just rigs I've owned, I've driven several other setups.

My recommendation, go deep because it sucks driving something that's under geared.

The only gear related issues I ever had was a D30 pinion/ring gear (4.88's). I was running 33" bias TSL's (about 35" tall) and stock axles with 297 joints on purpose thinking that the axles would be the "fuse" and not the pinion of the 4.88. Apparently in my case it wasn't.

Failure was due to Heavy Jeep, pinned front and rear in the rocks and almost full lock turned.

The gears were warrantied and never had any other issues.

Michael

what part of grapeview are you from? i grew up around them parts.

i have 35 mrt and 4.88 gears. no problems yet but i dont run my junk that hard or often any more lol

HP 30 with Yukon shafts, ARB and 4.88's
C 8.25 with Chromo shafts, ARB and 4.88's

I have ran it for years and not one issue on 35's. Been to the rocks in Moab, and most terrain in between with no failures or problems. I don't wheel easy, but I also don't bash or have to heavy of a right foot either. I would go deeper if I could. Good Luck

I plan on gearing mine in the next month or so, stepping up to 35s. This is all great info! Most everyone I have talked to says 4.88 gears are the way to go, so that what im doin!

I have not run mine yet, but chose 4.88 basically because I have to only having a 4banger. I think I did a decent amount of research on Dana 30's breaking pinions and couldn't find much. I read stories of people running them for years with out problems. Also stories that some didn't even get though their first trip out and bang! I talked with the gear guru that did my work. He told me he has never had a problem with them and has never had to warranty any ether. In a nut shell he told me they were just as strong as 4.56's if you buy quality gears. So I had him install Yukons in the front axle.

Dave

If I did 4.88s on a 30 I would for sure have them cryo treated and what not. My 4.56s would/ should have been too had I had more time or been more patient.

Back