• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you do to your XJ today

1. Started it for the first time in a month and a half
  2. Re-plugged a tire that I put a small pin hole in awhile back, it now holds air and is once again round
  3. Adjusted my passenger rear door latch so my jalopy now has four functioning doors, yay
  4. Fixed my TRE taper issue on my pitman arm, more on that later, but my steering is gutentight again
  5. Stared at my rear shock hoops, and brain stormed what it would take for coilovers...

What was the best method for getting them off? I have one that's cracked in half and the others on its way...

The 3M "adhesive remover" ball that goes on your drill is the best way to get them off.

I do not know where mine went so I used paint thinner and elbow grease. I got a blister on my thumb from it.

The ignition switch went and I had tiki twice that. Pretty simple.

6f40f6a71f3b913be36f0311a2910dc8.jpg

Hmmm something doesn't look right there.

43572a69f335ccc9b2fb6847f304c44e.jpg

Old and new side by side

8858365ed277269c1d9ba73d5651036c.jpg

New happy ignition.

New Water pump, New T-stat housing.

I never had overheating problems when I filled it up with coolant, but my coolant was disappearing mysteriously.

My thermostat has been seeping for years. I wanted to get things in tip top shape so did a few flushes.

E1xKkQ0.jpg

79ra86j.jpg

PF2mCHW.jpg

It was CAKED with grease and so dirty. I spent hours cleaning surfaces and the engine block.

j3jzFNl.jpg

I promptly snapped the upper water pump bolt, so i made some room to work in.

oLxXSRQ.jpg

NoC3tkI.jpg

PB Blasting away. and we have freedom.

Lgs4lum.jpg

Quick trip to grab new bolts. You need 5/16-18 bolts, 3 bolts at 1 1/8" long and 1 bolt at 1 3/4".

I was very happy with how the project was going at this rate, used 3 razor knife blades and lots of paint thinner and some fine sand paper to get the mating surfaces perfect.

So fresh and clean no drips or water after instal!

ruPQZZX.jpg

Made my new bumper sad. Guess I welded to much/fast last night and it developed a significant frown. Spent today trying a bunch of ways to get it straight again. Finally used a bunch of relief cuts welded shut with the Miller set to "kill". Looked like it worked perfect... at first. Now the dang thing is slightly smiling. Damn.
1990e8d325b781edcdb770c6996c77b4.jpg

Made my new bumper sad. Guess I welded to much/fast last night and it developed a significant frown. Spent today trying a bunch of ways to get it straight again. Finally used a bunch of relief cuts welded shut with the Miller set to "kill". Looked like it worked perfect... at first. Now the dang thing is slightly smiling. Damn.
1990e8d325b781edcdb770c6996c77b4.jpg

Looks aren't everything. Function over form dude. Proceed with paint & mounting. No one would've noticed.

Looks aren't everything. Function over form dude. Proceed with paint & mounting. No one would've noticed.
Normally I agree but it was so bad the mounting brackets were a half a hole off. Add to that the fact this is my "nice" jeep and it looked worse than bad. Seriously. I can only have my work looked at as a hack job so much. Haha.
I'm almost done fixing it anyway. :cool:

Digging those wheels ... They look bigger than a 15" ... Details?

this weekend...

Some custom rock sliders. Welded to my stiffeners and bolted to the pinch seam for piece of mind.

nFcqTx9.jpg

qiIJ0Br.jpg

One of my boxes showed up.
Do these usually come with hardware?

CTFOGwF.jpg

NCuMF4K.jpg

Collecting lots of parts.

Scored some door seals that were in amazing shape, going to clean and treat them and install them with some extra care to get the ride quieter.

2ZABMj2.jpg

The donor was completely unmolested and a 2000 so I went to town for MANY odds and ends, had the same interior of mine.

Zhe6gmY.jpg

You forget how many little fasteners and bushings you could collect for this thing.

MQgQ6ag.jpg

Already using some of the trim pieces that were missing.

not bad for a total of 40. some of the bushings,trim pieces alone would be that shipped.

Got some painting to do Monday after work and Ill be putting the gas skid on and cleaning up the back for the JCR tire carrier bumper!

New passenger side wheel hub (pass side seems to eat one every year). Back to Lordco to warranty it ... Free is good.
Swapped in the Chromo shaft I grabbed from Rawk a while back at the same time. Attached the TJ front sway bar with JK disco's and new poly mounts. Seems to be working well so far.
Gonna drop the other side chromo shaft in when I swap the new hub unit on that side.

Back