• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you do to your XJ today

]I decided to finish what I started. My liftgate was starting to have issues on the passenger side because the ball stud was pushing the sheet metal out of whack and starting to face the front of my XJ.

I drilled several holes next to the stud, next to the gap that was created by the ball stud bending the metal. I was able to get a screw driver in there and I was able to pry out the stud and nut. I hammered the metal flat and in to allow clearance for the nut when I reinstalled it. I also painted the exposed metal for protection. [/COLOR]
I bought some medium thick flat strap from Home Depot and cut a 3.5 inch piece off of it. The old ball stud is fairly soft metal. Use a Torx bit or put Vise Grips on the stud shoulder that butts up against the mounting metal face. I then drilled a hole for the stud and bolted it into the new piece and painted it. [/COLOR]

I stuck it up where I wanted it and marked where I wanted the Rivet holes. You really only need holes on the edge that faces the liftgate because there is always forward pressure on the plate. Drilled the holes in the plate off of the XJ on top of a piece of wood, then held the plate back up where I wanted to mount it and drilled a hole into my XJ's sheet metal, popped in a rivet and it held it in place while did the other 2 holes. I did the drivers side plate 4 years ago and it is still solid as a rock and is also when I replaced the struts I bought at Autozone. They are very good quality, they have held up in temps of -30 to temps of +118. It raises all by itself and actually has a lot of tension on it when you close it, they are very strong struts.

Liftgate%201.jpg

[/COLOR]

Picked up a Xj hp Dana 30 and a Xj dana 44 rear, for $150! :D
Why? I don't really know..... Though I've been thinking I would like to drop my gearing to 5.13 when I finish the hp44 front, and I can't go that low with the 8.25 rear, not to mention I don't know if 37's on a 8.25 is the greatest idea. So I might just setup the Xj 44 and gear it to match and sell my 30/8.25 to recoupe some money.

I know, they probably aren't enough, but I'm pretty easy on it. My issue is I don't really want to put 60's under the Xj, because I really can't put big enough tires on to justify it. If I can make a 30 live (and 8.25 for that matter) this long, I'm willing to accept what small amount of breakage may come with f&r 44's.

At least that's what I keep telling myself. That and I don't normally drive like you and Scott :)
Or I may sell the rear 44 and just go 60 in the rear to start, I just don't know yet

44s and 37s are a good combo for someone that isnt a throttle junkie..

1 tons are overkill for 90% of people..

Full width is better for lots of reasons.
But narrow 44's with rcv's could work OK its just hard to get past that small 760 u joint the 30 and 44 have.

Yeah the 760 joints scare me. The new revolution shafts with the 1310 joints (I think that's what they are, jk joints) are pretty cool, but for the price, I'm just going to try rcv's and see how that works out

Adam, I've got a question for you, since I have to do my brothers Dana 44, and maybe this one I bought, what's your take on spline count? 30? 33? 35? I seem to remember reading somewhere that some people were having issues with bearings on 35 spline Dana 44 shafts with an arb. Have you heard of anything like that?

My brothers jeep needs chromo's and a locker, and I just want to make sure I don't cause other issues...

Replaced the firing pins with autolite ap 985 one of the plugs I removed the plug gap was almost mashed flat don't know how that happened.

Back