• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you do to your XJ today

Got my heep back up and running. Previously, after the HO swap, had some misfires happening under load, but its working great now. Also blew ball joints after a shaft decided to not just bust but also grenade a u-joint, so I got that all done too. So, I drove her for ~80 miles yesterday and she's good. Now I just need to win Powerball or something so I can start building up the D44.

b7fd53095e71e865452faeb61d8a60df.jpg

Washed it

I've been trying to find my issue with my jeep pulling me to the right. Took it in for an alignment and camber and toe in was fine (I thought the toe in wasn't even). My castor was off .8 degrees.. They were telling me that's why. I adjusted upper link on that wheel and still no improvement. Verified my bottom links are at identical lengths. Axle is centered via adjustable track bar. I even adjusted out that wheel i didn't think was even to the other one, still no improvement.

I'm thinking just a tire rotation or replacing the ball joints next.

Peddlernate: That's impressive! I'm intrigued.

Indeepwithajeep: Get a Harborfreight digital angle finder, and adjust your arms to get Castor to spec

Last edited:
1181e484c832989e1d308ede7a1dc651.jpg

Good thing we quit when we did yesterday, this u-joint cap was doing its best to sneak out.
I told myself when I initially built the jeep that I'd put chromo shafts in the first time I had to pull them...

1181e484c832989e1d308ede7a1dc651.jpg

Good thing we quit when we did yesterday, this u-joint cap was doing its best to sneak out.
I told myself when I initially built the jeep that I'd put chromo shafts in the first time I had to pull them...

Put new x760s in them and tack weld the caps.

I did that years ago and I'm still on the same shafts

Can you explain why chromo shafts aren't an upgrade in your opinion?

This is what I was looking at getting, quite a deal it seems:

Christmas Sale - Front Chromoly 4340 axle kits - $349 complete kits with warranty
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1124336

I know you didn't ask for mine but here we go.

If you get the chromo shafts that are a lot harder and won't break.
You are not breaking shafts as of now so that is not your issue.

By putting the shafts in your Dana 30 you now move the weak link to the ring and pinion, and that is not a trail fix.

Scott blew through 2 Dana 30 R&Ps after getting chromo shafts and almost a 3rd there at the end the only saving grace on the 3rd was he only had one chromo in and one stock. He broke the stock.

Anyway I would avoid it unless you are breaking shafts all the time.

Now the exception:

Scott was breaking shafts all over the place, street, trail, in his driveway....

So it was a trade off for him
A new R&P every year vs shafts every other trip to the trail and occasionally trip to the store.

Like I said
I would put a new x760 and tack the caps and if you do break something later on it will be something you can fix on the trail.

Because as of right now the issue is the cap getting lose.

But to each there own
Lots run the shaft and don't have issues

But for me
I would want my "fuse" to be where I can get to it, fix it and keep wheeling.

Nick pretty muck covered it. The ring and pinion can't handle good shafts. And that cash is better spent on an axle upgrade than polishing a turd. A 30 on stock shafts and 33's will hold up with tacked 760's.

Back