• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

were all 4.0s created equal?

Theres not that much difference, but if you get one in metallic green, in any year, you could go faster due to an increase in bhp.

My metallic green (moss pearlcoat) and (hunter green) XJ's are hella fast.:D

A 4.0l is a 4.0l. I do now many people do like the 99 intake for an upgrade to their pre-97 engines. I'd personally avoid the 2000-2001 due to the cracked head issue. I just do not have enough engine experience to tackle a head gasket or head removal without some experienced person nearby. I know my limits. Although I could probably rewire the truck without too much of a hitch.

yeah, moss green, olive green, metallic green, they are all slightly quicker. Thats a fact. My friend has a white xj and he has yet to beat me from the lights. Also his is always breaking down so i should imagine the build quality is slightly down. Ontop of that about 6 months ago i saw an xj going down the road making a hell of a noise blowing smoke all over the place. That one was red so id stay away from that color too.

But maybe the red one is actually stronger as it's still running under the same internal engine conditions that would have killed the green one. It's too early to judge until the fat lady sings.

But maybe the red one is actually stronger as it's still running under the same internal engine conditions that would have killed the green one. It's too early to judge until the fat lady sings.

lapis blue is the best...

my 97 breaks down on my wife every time i am at least 4 hrs away:shiver:

i think it has low self esteem because of it's color.

40LtouchedbyGod.jpg

yeah thats a great engine. But a green xj is just slightly better. On average More durable, more reliable, better performance and because of its superior looks better resale value. So in answer to the original question, no all xjs were not created equal, green ones are head and shoulders above the rest!

Aqua Pearl Metallic is the true color. 276k on Original Motor, just made a 7 hour trip to storage before the winter.

I think the burgundy color is best, because whenever I go into a turn (corner) at speed, I gain ground on all the other vehicles. It is so fast that I need to strap down gear in the back to keep it from flying around. The stock roof rack seems to give extra stability in the turn also, probably like the modified dirt trackers wings.

I don't know what the price difference could be attributed to--maybe one kit uses higher quality gaskets, premium moly rings, etc. Maybe they figure someone with a newer Jeep can pay more. What are the links to the kits, or the mfgs?

Back