• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding to sheet metal, help?

1.the first problem is the machine
2. lack of experience
3. 1/4" to 20 gauge isn't the greatest idea and is excessive weight for nothing... 1/8" with a strip of 1/8" angle welded to the outside edge of the rocker is plenty strong to take hits
4. I welded my 1/8" in with .035 wire and flux, burned through maybe 6 times total? It's technique not the wire...

Tack it all the way across and use the "C" pattern

Take a look at his pictures again guys.
  1. He doesn't have his work clamped, so there are gaps to fill.
  2. The metal hasn't been properly prepared. It's dirty as all hell.
  3. Lack of skill & technique (as shown by the welds).
Welding MIG isn't gong to correct any of that. A good machine certainly helps, but it's not the fix all for poor planning & execution.

Take a look at his pictures again guys.
  1. He doesn't have his work clamped, so there are gaps to fill.
  2. The metal hasn't been properly prepared. It's dirty as all hell.
  3. Lack of skill & technique (as shown by the welds).
Welding MIG isn't gong to correct any of that. A good machine certainly helps, but it's not the fix all for poor planning & execution.

1- i dont find that gap to be too large, thats nothing.
2- i could get a cleaner weld on that, YES he couldve cleaned more, but he didnt get anywhere, so no harm no foul.
3- i think people did elude to that, when people say 'practice', they mean you suck at welding, i didnt want to be rude.

1- i dont find that gap to be too large, thats nothing.
2- i could get a cleaner weld on that, YES he couldve cleaned more, but he didnt get anywhere, so no harm no foul.
3- i think people did elude to that, when people say 'practice', they mean you suck at welding, i didnt want to be rude.

Of course you or I would be fine with what's pictured. But these are his problems which are contributing to his results.

absolutely seek out someone to show you some tricks, im no master welder, but even when i give friends tips, their welds improve.

a friend tried his hand at welding about 6 months ago, at the time i had a lincoln 110hd, the home depot flux core setup. he failed misserably at welding with this, but i (after years of practice) could produce OK welds... nothing to write home about, but not embarassing.

fast forward 6 months, and i have a proper 220v MIG setup. the other day i asked him to lay down some beads for me, just to get him practicing as i am the only welder in my crew... an amazing thing happened... he put down some ok beads, and after a couple simple suggestions from me, he was laying down NICE beads!

i should take some pics of his welds, quite the improvement, and i know he's not using any other welders for practice. equipment and a guiding light go A LONG WAY. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. i NEVER weld on the jeep without a small warm up on similar metal from the scrap pile, if the welder got bumped around and your dials got changed, you want to find that out on the scrap.

also, EVERYONE sucks at welding, at one point in their life, there is no shame in posting pics of your welds, it only shows you care about improving the quality of you're welds, which is good!

no raking over coals! keep posting pics!

not EVERYONE sucks from the go... I CAN tell u that.. but like all things worth doing practice takes you far..and effort brings it home.. i can stack dimes with any machine any material from alum.--copper--sil brz--enkinel-- ss.. cleaning is not that important for what he is welding as it is oxidized anyways.. flux core can get tricky and movement is critical.. practice and you will own that machine make it work..

ok mr 7 posts (none of which contain pics of said stacked dimes)

i know some people are naturals, whatever. OP clearly isnt, and my comments were directed torwards him.

i know some people are naturals, whatever. OP clearly isnt, and my comments were directed torwards him.

LOL :roflmao:

I had a Century 110V MIG, never could get it to work right. Then last year I bought a 220V FC from HF. My welds looked so-so. Then last semester I took a welding class, I finally got the HF out again. My beads looked incredible (to me) my point is, the welding class I took was worth every nickle I put into it. Matter of fact I'll be in the welding program for the next year (not a vo-tech certification, just semester hours). Will I ever use my welding skills for money, probably not. If you can, a welding class is worth every minute put into it. Strongly recommend.

Welding1.jpg
noname-2.jpg

thats on copper 1200 deg. preheat sry for not first proven myself before i opened my mouth to help...
great info native technique is critical...

i cant tell what that is, but if it is what you say it is, and youre such a good welder, i appreciate you posting in our little welding thread! proffessionals are allways welcome. no offense ment!

no offense taking xcm all i was saying is that if the guy practiced his technique he can weld anything.. and that just because your a beginner doesn't mean you have to suck at it...
if u go to a class they should teach you tech. before you ever strike a rod, wire or tungsten..

sry if that other post came out conceded.. the keys dont express sarcasm very well..lol

Back