• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Watch out for black ice!

"I tried to stop" he sez - sorry, but last time I checked, that's the WRONG thing to do when you lose traction, due to ice, hydroplaning, or oil patches.

Honourable mention for the Darwin Award - he did the wrong thing, but still survived. Don't they teach people any better in Driver's Ed anymore?

5-90

Nice. White ice isn't any better, or any worse, just ice.
Besides, on a shelf road in Colorado, aren't you likley to find Brown ice? ;)

They are LUCKY!!!!
Here is what part the road (hwy 550) looks like for those that dont know.
This is in an area that DONT drop off too far. Dont remember EXCATLY where this was taken, but I think it was just south of the Engineer Pass turn off
north of Red Mountian Pass...............
rickandpattie2006059.jpg

Here is a fun spot to watch 2 18 wheelers meet, one going south, the other going north......
rickandpattie2006062.jpg

from the down hill side......
rickandpattie2006062A.jpg

Heres a Googled pic....
263356201EYDTId_ph.jpg

EDIT:
WOW!!! after looking at the top pic I took and the bottom one that I googled...
looks to have been taken from ALMOST the same spot!!!
Iam gonna guess I was even with the road sign when I took mine.

Last edited:
"aren't you likley to find Brown ice"
bet it was "brown ice" as they started to spin toward the edge!! wonder if the white cushion helped as opposed to just landing on "soft rocks"? okay, so now i'll sell my XJ and buy a minivan............not! although black ice did destroy my last XJ.

i would have just tried 4lo and drove back up

5-90 said:
"I tried to stop" he sez - sorry, but last time I checked, that's the WRONG thing to do when you lose traction, due to ice, hydroplaning, or oil patches.

Honourable mention for the Darwin Award - he did the wrong thing, but still survived. Don't they teach people any better in Driver's Ed anymore?

5-90

Drivers ed is a complete joke these days. It doesn't matter what language it's in. A friends daughter just completed two weeks of drivers ed. and never drove a car!????
When I was in FL in order to get their permit the kids had to go to two days of Don't do Drugs and Don't Drink and Drive classes! Nothing about actually how to drive a car!

Ofcourse we drive with the results of this everyday!

GSequoia said:
Now why you gotta be racist about the ice?

Edit: Damn you Scott.

The rainbow coallition will be getting in on this soon....I can hear Jessie coming...i bet there's some big money in this....

Back