• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wanted: used 231 transfer case chain

Curtis_H

NAXJA Forum User
yeah, I know, it's a bad idea, but hear me out. I was given this POS 92 dodge dakota 4x4. T-case chain is broken. All I want to use this truck for is hauling trash to the landfill, but it is completely helpless in 2wd. I just want to get the 4x4 working good enough to get itself out of a mud hole at the landfill, and I want to spend as little cash as possible. If it breaks again, I will junk the truck, I don't really care that much. I looked online and a few places list the same part number from the dakota to the cherokee 231 chain, so I was hoping someone might have an old chain or a junk case they would let go cheap. I already welded the spider gears in the rear and that helped alot but the 5.2 likes to dig itself in deep anyway.

If it's the same as an XJ, I have one with less than 1000 miles one it in my tool box at work. You can have it for free, you figure out how to get it to you.

where is work? I could probably come get it if your halfway close to me

Mason city, my brother lives in Altoona, but not sure when he will be up here anytime soon. How big a hurry are you for it? You aren't the Curt that works at Midas, are you?

Update: My mother is going down Saturday, so I could have it in Altoona by this weekend if this helps. Let me know.

I've been digging into the 231D a lot lately, and thought that all of the V8 Dodge trucks with the 231 had the wide chain in it, if this is the case, I have a 231D HD that I ham building that I bought a new chain for, the old chain is in great shape and would have probably been fine to keep, but I decided to go new anyway. If you are interested, email me [email protected] I'm never on here anymore since I no longer have an XJ, just popped in to grab the SYE for sale.

Back