• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wanted: Tranny that goes both ways

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
Looking for a 23 spline 4x4 AW4 that works, the one in my '96 doesn't go backward.

The lower the miles and more pristine the condition the better, this will be going in my daily driver / family wagon.

Thanks!
Sequoia

Did you call Troy?

Re: Wanted: Tranny that goes both ways

I think you posted this on the wrong site!

Call Kyung, not sure if he sold his.

Flush the tranny and make sure its got the right fresh fluid? the AW4 demands Dexron. Once it got Chrysler atf in it and it wouldnt shift and slipped.
They dont fail often. A few years ago mine wouldnt go into reverse when it was cold till I flushed it ran it and flushed it again. Now its fine with 200k on it. (mines a 21 spline 1988)

KH

Flush the tranny and make sure its got the right fresh fluid? the AW4 demands Dexron. Once it got Chrysler atf in it and it wouldnt shift and slipped.

Yeah, I've flushed and filled. This is just one of the rear AW4s that go bad. I'd like to keep my old transmission because one day I want to tear it down to see (and repair) what's wrong.

They dont fail often. A few years ago mine wouldnt go into reverse when it was cold till I flushed it ran it and flushed it again. Now its fine with 200k on it. (mines a 21 spline 1988)

KH

I could prove you wrong on the fluid, and the breaking often thing.....

Sequoia, I could rebuild that one for you if you get the parts.

Sequoia, I could rebuild that one for you if you get the parts.

No thanks, it's just a time thing now. Gonna get one to swap it in then rebuild this one later. I've always wanted to rebuild an AW4 actually (curiosity killed the Sequoia).

Out of curiosity, what other fluid works well? Often is a relative term I guess.

KH

I've been running +4 for years, in both my 2000, and my old 89. never had a problem. My brothers just let go last week, and now it's running +4 and I'm sure it will not have any problems. My trans temp never get over 160 even when my foot is in it in 3rd going up the cajon pass. Ive ran it in all kinds of transmissions, some ford 5r55E's, a 4r100, a4r70w, and a few GM's as well. Never had issues with it. For along time Dave (slimsxj) was running it as well.

Justin

Back