• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vehicle Requirements and Tech Inspections

I can program these for anyone who wants all the crucial placer county comms and Northern California/Nevada ham repeaters. I have a cloning cable and a list of all the freq's programmed into mine. $25 is awesome peace of mind. 100% of all the lost people that turn into a fatality in our area are well within range of this $25 radio in desolation wilderness.

Also, gonna use this min as a minimum build list. Pretty much got most of it covered except the tires and a few other crucial items....Thanks for Posting Jon!

I feel as if differential gearing should be more of a highly recommended
Can definitely do plenty with an auto 33s a 2.72 low and 3.55s.

But that's a grey area I suppose

I feel as if differential gearing should be more of a highly recommended
Can definitely do plenty with an auto 33s a 2.72 low and 3.55s.

But that's a grey area I suppose

Yeah i can agree with that being highly reccomended . If youre in this grey area please post up your rig .

Btw rubicon is much rougher at this point in the year then many of the past years that I've driven on it. The water crossings are at the headlights on my rig. And the snow is still melting from on top of the mountains so I would anticipate come early August it will still be fairly high.

People planning on running the Rubicon all the way through with us should plan accordingly and I'll be doing some dry runs probably the weekend before

I feel Eric's post really sets the tone for this, well said. For those of you who may not have been around very long or weren't active over the last 10 years. The current run format has been developed to cater to the people who are active and show up to runs. Many locations and events have come and gone but these 3 events remain our most popular. The past few Chapter BOD's have put in a lot of work to fine tune this run schedule.

So fast forward to the current chapter run schedule. SierraFest is a week long wheeling trip split into 2 parts, a hard trail and an easy more accessible trail. Reno Run is a long weekend trip with day runs of varying difficulty for just about any rig. The Holiday Toy drive is at local OHV parks and anyone can show up & run. This should cover 99% of the current members and users of the Sierra Chapter. No changes have been made to the "inclusive" nature of NAXJA and our chapter.

While the current list of requirements may seem a bit overkill to some. For others it makes sense for a group like ours to set some minimum levels of equipment for the harder portions of the chapter runs in the interest in keeping the larger groups that these runs attract moving along the trail. This list is also about educating the members of the chapter. Some people don't even realize their set-up isn't going to work on our local trails.

SierraFest was born out of a desire to have a signature event for our chapter. The Reno run was a bunch of local guys in Reno that made an event out of running their favorite trails. Deer Valley/Slick Rock was Shark Mark's summer fun run that became so popular that it was included in SierraFest. The toy drive is more of a social event that we can go wheel a little bit. The current run schedule caters to those members who are active and actually show up. It is also set so that our chapter leaders aren't overwhelmed by too much behind the scenes planning.

If a run turns into a big cluster**** with broken rigs everywhere, are we really having fun? Will new members come back after spending 16 hours on a trail fixing junk? Probably not.

So rather than worry that you are being excluded somehow. Spend some time going over your rig, do some small upgrades, and then go have fun. You and your rig will be better for it. Don't worry about breaking, we all do it. Just be prepared.

We definitely had some very serious Potential Safety issues that could have easily avoided had everyone had comms. They are more for overall group safety an well being - we cannot have someone in the back turn around we just assume they are lost... but with no radio how do we know ?
If there are people in the group that do not have radio they should be in between people that do or in the middle of the group.

Just to clarify, if I wanted to do a particular run, I post my build in this thread and based on the BOD judgement, they will approve or disapprove of me going? Or do you want people to post in the "run" thread?

I've wanted to join you guys/gals on some of the runs for quite a long time, but poor timing and some worry of holding up more built rigs has kept me from doing so.

For rubicon only:
If you meet the requirements no need to post here- just post up on the sierra fest
Thread that you are going so we have headcounts accurate. If you dont think your rig
Meets the requirements and still want to go post up here or pm me gordon or lou with your build and we can talk about what requirements youre not meeting and make a judgement call and can work with you to get done what can be done

For hermit valley, deer valley ,
Slick rock:
As stated for this portion of the run the minimjm requirements are super relaxed. Bring any rig you want here as long as its not total junk and we will be doing tech inspections.

Last edited:
Hard Hat Pat will be inspecting seat belts :D :thumbup:

Another sad story of a death on the rubicon his past weekend due to a lack of judgment and no seatbelt

Yeah we really need to make sure everyone has a belt on at all times. Really Sad.

If there are people in the group that do not have radio they should be in between people that do or in the middle of the group.

Yep like I said earlier he was in the middle and somehow got to the back. Things happen that we cant control and therefore everyone should have a cb or baofeng. For 25$ for a handheld with good range no reason not to .

Yep like I said earlier he was in the middle and somehow got to the back. Things happen that we cant control and therefore everyone should have a cb or baofeng. For 25$ for a handheld with good range no reason not to .

Fact is, radio or no radio that was unacceptable. If you are going to leave the group, you need to tell someone. Also it should be consulted with the trail leader for advice, and/or permission. That guy was lucky he found his way out and didn't get lost. There are so many turns and different trails that lead to nowhere out there. I've been wheeling out there for over 10 years and I myself have been temporarily lost - missed a turn and ended up in an area I was totally not expecting.

So not only have we become a little lax with vehicle inspections but as trail leaders and participants we should get back in the habit of holding driver meetings to ensure everyone knows what the expectations are. As new people are joining us we shouldn't assume everyone knows this stuff automatically.

I stopped as soon as i realized he wasnt behind us. We waited 30 minutes or more.I was pissed. Then We sent patrick looking
For him. He never told anyone and took off...

I think its very important we stick with min requirements on trails Runs. We have easy runs and we have Hard runs to make these events something for everyone. Driver Meetings letting people know about trail communication and what is to be expected. If people don't have Cb or Ham then they need to let us all know so we can stick them in the right spot in the group. If people think they are having a issue with their jeep before the run they need to let everyone know. Maybe we can all pitch in and get corrected before we all go out on the run. Were all a Big NAXJA family! We can all work together and stick to the rules so we can have Great Fun trips.
As for Jeep prep, we all know things can break and we all understand that! People need to try and gather all the spare parts for which the most failures Occur. Get to the junk yard and grab front axle shafts and engine sensors and get them in your jeep tool box. As for Prep, My philosophy is, I would rather be home wrenching on my jeep then out in the dirt or rocks. I try and prep my jeep just like its a race jeep. Crawl under that thing and crawl over it and see if I can see something loose or in the way. Inspect and inspect again just to make sure. I do spend a lot of time on Jeep Prep but it has done me right so far," Knock on wood!" I want to spend my time on the Jeep adventure enjoying the sights, sounds and people and have a great time! Have a safe 4th of July!

I'm impressed that you guys are having this conversation. It seems like almost every run with over 6 vehicles that there is someone that breaks down with an issue that they knew about and should have fixed before the run. It happens all the time and sucks for everyone else. Glad you guys are setting rules and explaining it to everyone. It's not an exclusionary thing, it's a safety and enjoyment thing.

I'm impressed that you guys are having this conversation. It seems like almost every run with over 6 vehicles that there is someone that breaks down with an issue that they knew about and should have fixed before the run. It happens all the time and sucks for everyone else. Glad you guys are setting rules and explaining it to everyone. It's not an exclusionary thing, it's a safety and enjoyment thing.

Thanks for totally getting it. And same to twinhauler as well but can only quote one

Back