• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

US-2 Snow run

I've repeatedly called the Skykomish Ranger Station and never gotten an answer. You can sit on hold as long as you like but a human never answers. I've also emailed the Supervisors Office in Everett with zero response.

............ Until today that is....

I just talked to the District Ranger and she says that the boundry of WildSky does not include the Beckler River road or Jacks Pass.
The Maps are still a ways out but they have already posted the new Wilderness boundries and closed off the affected side roads.

............ Until today that is....

I just talked to the District Ranger and she says that the boundry of WildSky does not include the Beckler River road or Jacks Pass.
The Maps are still a ways out but they have already posted the new Wilderness boundries and closed off the affected side roads.

Sweet!!!!
So we should be clear to enter from either side then (as long as there are no washouts on the West side (Index).

Michael

Sweet!!!!
So we should be clear to enter from either side then (as long as there are no washouts on the West side (Index).

Michael
She said the West side is a County road and still washed out.

We will not be that far from "Index", on Hwy 2. Long drive from where you are. Yes, the likelyhood is that it will be tow friendly (I plan on towing but I also have plates) I have seen snow mobiles up there in the past.

"floating" on the snow just means that you have enough flotation to stay on top of the snow instead of digging. Snow conditions affect this significantly, some years it is great others nearly impossible.

This is why we run VERY low tire pressures, wide footprint. The begining of the group usually has the larger wider tires and can create the trail, the farther back in the group the more the trail is packed and the smaller and narrower the tires can be (assuming it packs reasonably). Either way it is a learned art as a group to stay moving without spending all day recoving any particular person in the group.

Michael

How would 32x10.5 do out there with a 3" budget lift?

-PJ-

We could also consider the Old Hwy 2 at the summit as an alternative also.

No a great Idea, they use the entrance as a snow depository for the plows during the winter. Also Old hwy2 goes through a high Avalanche area and there's a bad layer of hoar this year.

How would 32x10.5 do out there with a 3" budget lift?

-PJ-

I have seen people on 31x10.5's running 10-12 psi out perform people with 35x12.5's on the same trail, the same day, with the same vehicles.

You will be able to make your tire/vehicle perform as well as your capabilities/eperience enable you.

No a great Idea, they use the entrance as a snow depository for the plows during the winter. Also Old hwy2 goes through a high Avalanche area and there's a bad layer of hoar this year.

Joe, Very good point. I wasn't aware that they used the entrance as a snow depository, I am wondering if we are talking about the same spot?
Michael

I have seen people on 31x10.5's running 10-12 psi out perform people with 35x12.5's on the same trail, the same day, with the same vehicles.

You will be able to make your tire/vehicle perform as well as your capabilities/eperience enable you.

Joe, Very good point. I wasn't aware that they used the entrance as a snow depository, I am wondering if we are talking about the same spot?
Michael

top of the pass just before the parking lot(left side if you are heading east)?

Either way I can do some scouting, I head up to Stevens every weekend in the winter.

Here is the blocked area I was talking about.

Here is where we might be able to get in.

Just a heads up, you will need to zoom out in order to see the map.

I know where both spots are Joe, but where does the second spot go? I believe its where you see lots of people parking their rigs off to the side of the road before the train tunnel begins and heading out on snowmobiles.

-Lyle

Just a heads up, you will need to zoom out in order to see the map.

I know where both spots are Joe, but where does the second spot go? I believe its where you see lots of people parking their rigs off to the side of the road before the train tunnel begins and heading out on snowmobiles.

-Lyle
yup thats where it is. It goes to Wellington/Tye and ends where the first map is.

Yep, avalanche wiped out the trains waiting for the storm to pass. The old railroad grade is on the other side of the valley, so do you mean across from the u-turn?

-Lyle

Back