• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading to oem 16” wheels and tires without lifting - size question

I have a build thread on another forum i frequent, i’ll have to update and copy it over to here.

Cooling system fully overhauled/beefed up with high flow parts, 3 row rad, zj HD clutch...suspension and steering overhauled/beefed up to limits of OE replacement parts (moog)...poly sway bars mount and moog thermoplastix link bushings...full tuneup down to every ignition sensor, jeepcables 4ga kit....ford 5.0 oil filter...

I started it primarily as a daily driver that can tow, and handle mild off road duty (forest and logging roads, farm fields, etc during hunting season). Focus switched to daily driver that can tow a travel trailer to a campground and park it for full time living, then move it to another campground when weather changes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive read something in my research about a delrin bushing/boot i can put in called “the fix” that is supposed to stop the tie rod from flopping back and forth when steering...supposedly helps cure “death wobble” symptoms.

For the life of me though, i cant find the website again. Is that the Curry item you are talking about RCP?

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/srch.html
The link for the cure. I'd also look at Kevin's Off-road for DW stuff or ideas. Still, DW is a whole nother discussion.
I'm on 245-75-R16s with a 2" lift. I have 4 inched between the top of the tire and the fender guards. I would think then you would have 2". So, a bit stuffed, but probably OK. Also, seems you have beefed up your front end.
Also, KJ's have the same rim as the 2000-01 XJs. They also came in I think silver, a gray silver and a Black and Gold trim. The B&G is a bit rare. I did see one rim at a PnP years ago, and then some on an XJ last week.
I would think about getting some Black Magic front pads. I also worry that you might bottom out in the rear if you tow to much weight. Possibly look into adjustable shackles. I think IRO and Ironman might have some.
I think we have a similar build plan. I do run KYB Monomax on the front. Just low end white box on the rear. I could see you going to a 1.5 lift and using bar pin eliminators to keep your present shocks.
Can you post a link to your build on the other forum?
As mentioned before, I do run a 1-ton Roughstuff GM kit on both of my XJs. I also have the WJ Big breaks on them. While I like them and consider them an improvement, I do not think they are necessary on 31's. Also, the stock steering box is good, if in good shape. I would run a steering box brace.

Last edited:
I have the Monomax all the way around. Im not too impressed with them in the rear, but that could be my leaf springs i feel too (hard and bouncy ass end)

It may get a 1” lift plus 16” wheels eventually, for now its more about finishing up the essentials to tow my new home ;)

Not sure it’ll net me any gains, but i scored an aFe intake from a 3.2l that’ll get modified and installed on the 4.0l. The vac connections are the same in the tube, the bends aren’t quite right but i cut the pipe down and use elbows and couplers

I have the Monomax all the way around. Im not too impressed with them in the rear, but that could be my leaf springs i feel too (hard and bouncy ass end)

It may get a 1” lift plus 16” wheels eventually, for now its more about finishing up the essentials to tow my new home ;)

I like the Monomax in the front. A bit stiff, like Bilstein 5100's. It does balance the engine from swaying. Its sort of what I did with my MB240s. Sports in the front, comforts in the rear. I do think mine has a tiny bit of sway in the rear. I am going to put in some Bilsteins with a remote resivor I have. I bought them in a package deal. I might try an aftermarket swaybar at some point.
I would think adjustable rear shocks might be the ticket. A softer setting for DD etc. Then firm them up for towing. I hated driving a '78 Chevy truck to pick up pulley wheels. The Ford was better. But driving back, the Chevy was rock solid. The Ford was near white knuckled.

I like the Monomax in the front. A bit stiff, like Bilstein 5100's. It does balance the engine from swaying. Its sort of what I did with my MB240s. Sports in the front, comforts in the rear. I do think mine has a tiny bit of sway in the rear. I am going to put in some Bilsteins with a remote resivor I have. I bought them in a package deal. I might try an aftermarket swaybar at some point.
I would think adjustable rear shocks might be the ticket. A softer setting for DD etc. Then firm them up for towing. I hated driving a '78 Chevy truck to pick up pulley wheels. The Ford was better. But driving back, the Chevy was rock solid. The Ford was near white knuckled.

I think adjustables in the rear is a good idea. Aftermarket heavier sway bar might help too, especially for towing heavy loads. That itty bitty noodle of a factory sway bar is about worthless lol. It stiffens up a lot with poly mount bushings and moog thermoplastic links, but still a lot of ass end roll in my setup (and with the front staying planted, it hops around corners)

I dont have an issue with them up front, but i think they are a bad choice for rear on a daily driver paired with Husky leaf springs from rockauto

Rubi rims are 16x8? Or are they still 16x7?

I don't know off the top of my head. I can measure them when I get home. Do you already have your rims? I lifted my new to me XJ and got new rims. My rubicons are stacked in the garage.
7W6z94f.jpg

I don't know off the top of my head. I can measure them when I get home. Do you already have your rims? I lifted my new to me XJ and got new rims. My rubicons are stacked in the garage.
7W6z94f.jpg

I’d be curious to know. Theres a set of Rubi wheels on local CL for a decent price. Also a set of Sahara wheels.

It took a while to find Rubi's at a reasonable price (still expensive) but that's the wheel I wanted!
P1080569_zpsdib4k3dm.jpg

BTW, here is a pic of my 2000 2wd with the Rubicons and 245/70-16 Yokohoma AT. Front suspension is stock height, but I added some lift shackles in the rear because I towed a lot with it.
zhfb3LD.jpg

Kind of a moot point right now, i stole a brand set of Nokian Rotiiva LT235/75-15 e e rated tires .

Thanks for measuring, at least i know what to keep my eyes out for 👍🏻 still wouldnt mind putting 245/75-16s on and keeping the 15s as spares mounted to the roof and a tire carrier

Air shocks are a bad cure, air bags are the way to go.

Back