• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ultra 4 cherokee build thread

CAJJ93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
well the day has finally come. time to start a build thread I guess

this will be a 4400 legal car, I have no current plans to actually compete

1.75x.120 wall chassis, .188 wall for the main parts built by RK specialties
sorry to the full body purists, but this one is going to be doved and narrowed to 56" shoulder width (including the roof)

00' f-body LS1, stock for now
th400 by ATO, 3000rpm stall (10" converter), winters shifter, reverse manual valve body
atlas II, 4.3:1
ruffstuff 4 links, rear trailing arms,
2.0 coilovers and 2.5 triple bypasses all around, bilstein bumps
PSC full hydro
dumb heavy 60/14b
39" bfg / KMC beadlocks

this is going to be a slow build, maybe a year or so

Last edited:
Nice ! glad to see it coming along dude!

6.2.5.2 All vehicles must be equipped with a roll cage fabricated of 1020 mild steel mechanical tubing or better (higher carbon content or alloy steel). The following minimum mild steel tubing sizes for roll cage main structure, based on dry vehicle weight rating (DVWR) in race trim, not including occupants, are recommended:

6.2.5.2.2 DVWR Under 3200 lb. - 1.5” diameter x .120” wall thickness.
6.2.5.2.3 DVWR 3201 lb. - 4400 lb. - 1.75” diameter x .120” wall thickness.
6.2.5.2.4 DVWR Over 4400 lb. - 2” diameter x .120” wall thickness.

Supporting Tubes as defined above with an unsupported span of less than 30” are allowed to be the same diameter as the main structure in the .95” wall thickness or .25” smaller tube diameter with .120 wall thickness. All unsupported span more than 30” must be the same diameter and thickness as the main structure. No aluminum or other non-ferrous materials are permitted. (All specifications may be substituted with metric equivalent).

6.2.5.3 Roll cage main structure material may be CREW, DOM, WHR, or WCR mild carbon steel or 4130 chromoly alloy steel. All welds must be of high quality and craftsmanship with good penetration and with no undercutting of parent material.

Very cool. Looking forward to watching this progress through the build. I love those wheels with the mud/water drain holes machined into the ring. If only mine wasn't a daily driver...if only I had some money ...if...if...if...Yeah, I guess I won't be getting any like that in the foreseeable future.

off to a slow start but that's okay! Progress on the chassis has not begun yet, as planned. So I guess I jumped the gun on this build thread a bit but hey I was excited. In the meantime, I picked up a tow rig.

1996 (pre smog) cummins, and it's a grandpa truck with perfect interior and 131,000 original miles. I'm a novice all over again, I know nothing about diesels so any tips are appreciated. aside from having to do a 4x4 conversion at some point, I'm pretty stoked

nice truck Jake !

Why the choice to go with an XJ based chassis for 4400?

With the lack of chassis limitations in that class you're going to have a much easier time building a competitive rig with just a pile of tube. Especially with weight.

Not trying to bash, just curious of your thought process.

Why the choice to go with an XJ based chassis for 4400?

With the lack of chassis limitations in that class you're going to have a much easier time building a competitive rig with just a pile of tube. Especially with weight.

Not trying to bash, just curious of your thought process.

I was not too keen on finishing a build and taking it over to the referee, which includes proving where I got all my parts in order to get it VIN'd. I already have the green sticker in the mail for this build which is a nice guarantee to have for peace of mind. The weight will not be an issue, there will be very very little XJ left here...

Either way. I went with what I know. I've seen the sheriff confiscate my buddies trailer build because he could not prove where he got it (basically turning a boat trailer into a flat bed) and then I've had buddies who had no problem getting VIN'd, but they also had a stack of receipts as their build was all new parts unlike mine

Back