• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Turbo manifold

tealcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
i decided to put this here, instead where everyone looks, to try to keep it useful info free:

heres what im thinking

turbomani.jpg

big pic, but thats what microsoft gave us scroll bars for.

anyway, its going to end up mounting the turbo through the hood, but, other than that, any down falls?

Any particular reason you can't do away with the inlet elbow, and have the turbo below the hood?

I'd also consider a pair of smaller turbos - mount the two turbos between cylinders #2 & #3, and #4 and #5... That would give you more boost at lower crankshaft speeds, and even out air distribution as well...

5-90

5-90 said:
Any particular reason you can't do away with the inlet elbow, and have the turbo below the hood?

I'd also consider a pair of smaller turbos - mount the two turbos between cylinders #2 & #3, and #4 and #5... That would give you more boost at lower crankshaft speeds, and even out air distribution as well...

5-90

im sure the TT set up is possible, but this turbo was free, and new.

and theres NO way to fit this thing under the hood, its god aweful huge

DSCF0833.jpg

Figures. That was the other reason for the twin turbo setup - compactness, and greater flexibility in mounting.

If you do decide to do the manifold, I'd appreciate it if you'd share the layout of the mounting flange. I've been thinking of a Helmholtz-tuned intake for the 4.0, and there's no need to reinvent the wheel for mounting it up (leaving me free to concentrate on runner design...)

Granted, with the low RPMs we run with, the runners will probably be ungawdly long - something I'll have to finagle...

5-90

Why 90* 'em down right off the head? Isn't that asking for the intake manifold to be awefully close to the exhaust? You're going to have some nasty heat soaking as is...

Although, I guess it depends how your exhaust is built to.

The problem with turbos is that the exhaust manifold collector should be fairly close to the intake - so the turbo has somewhat less work to do. Since the turbo isn't a fixed displacement compressor, it needs some help.

If you're going to the trouble, you may as well fab up an intake AND and exhaust manifold (I'd like flange dims for both, please!) and you can then work a heat shield between them - which is considerably less of a problem than fabbing up the manifolds to start with.

Granted, with a little judicious re-arrangement, it would probably be possible to work the intake to come straight off the head (or maybe upwards just slightly,) to clear the exhaust manifold and to allow for more room for a heat shield. Since turbo exhaust manifolds aren't as picky as regulars, you are actually freed up just slightly in that regard.

This should make for an interesting thought experiment on my part - just for fun...

5-90

At what RPM range are you looking for what boost? From here that looks like a big compressor for a I6 at least for most offing needs.

badron said:
At what RPM range are you looking for what boost? From here that looks like a big compressor for a I6 at least for most offing needs.

that turbo will spool at around 2400...

and its going on a stroker :D

Michaelarchangelo said:
what are the specs on the turbo?

Also, I think you are going to have some wicked backpressure with collecting exhaust gases with where the outlet elbow is.

garrett gt4088, compressor is a .72A/R and i think the turbine is 1.19A/R (could be 1.34, i dont remember)

i think theres more on garretts site

i was thinking about putting in a small turbo in the passenger side of the engine, that way i would not have to mod the header, and the small turbo woold spool up faster.

5-90 said:
The problem with turbos is that the exhaust manifold collector should be fairly close to the intake - so the turbo has somewhat less work to do. Since the turbo isn't a fixed displacement compressor, it needs some help.

If you're going to the trouble, you may as well fab up an intake AND and exhaust manifold (I'd like flange dims for both, please!) and you can then work a heat shield between them - which is considerably less of a problem than fabbing up the manifolds to start with.

Granted, with a little judicious re-arrangement, it would probably be possible to work the intake to come straight off the head (or maybe upwards just slightly,) to clear the exhaust manifold and to allow for more room for a heat shield. Since turbo exhaust manifolds aren't as picky as regulars, you are actually freed up just slightly in that regard.

This should make for an interesting thought experiment on my part - just for fun...

5-90

Or you could find someone with a cnc mill and design a hemispherical, 24v, dual over head cam, cross-flow head for the 4.0l. That way you could have the intake on one side and the exhaust on the opposite. Now that is an interesting thought experiment...:D

MogifiedXJ said:
Or you could find someone with a cnc mill and design a hemispherical, 24v, dual over head cam, cross-flow head for the 4.0l. That way you could have the intake on one side and the exhaust on the opposite. Now that is an interesting thought experiment...:D

ill test one for you!!

jeepdude10000 said:
i was thinking about putting in a small turbo in the passenger side of the engine, that way i would not have to mod the header, and the small turbo woold spool up faster.

505 already makes that piece of shit.

this IS the correct size single turbo for a 4.5L stroker, and its pretty good for a 4.0L also.

tealcherokee said:
505 already makes that piece of shit.

this IS the correct size single turbo for a 4.5L stroker, and its pretty good for a 4.0L also.

For a SINGLE turbo, you're right (off the top of my noggin.) However, spooling right about 2400 is a little low for what we're after - you'd want to see it spooling a little lower (say, 1800-2000rpm) so you'd get peak boost right around the torque plateau - which is another reason to go with two. Granted, you'd have to design a new header as well (split the cylinders into groups of three,) but you'd probably have to do that anyhow.

I've also been kicking around ideas for a crossdraft head for the 4.0 as well - just on account of 'cause. It would be too much to make it work as an OHC head right off, but that might come later...

5-90

5-90 said:
I've also been kicking around ideas for a crossdraft head for the 4.0 as well - just on account of 'cause. It would be too much to make it work as an OHC head right off, but that might come later...

5-90

Nothing worth while comes easy...However, I don't think it would be that hard to do, and just think of the power potential. Twin turboed, hemi-head, 4.7L strocker, and what the hell go ahead and put roller bearings through out the entire engine too. (Homer simpson voice) Ughlllllllllllll (End homer simpson voice). Once someone got a proto type built I don't think they would have any trouble selling them for what ever price they wanted to ask.

Another thing of note is the length of the log manifold you have designed. The expansion of such a long straight tube would almost surely force cracking at the #1 or #6 tie-ins.

Brandon

goodburbon said:
Another thing of note is the length of the log manifold you have designed. The expansion of such a long straight tube would almost surely force cracking at the #1 or #6 tie-ins.

Brandon
It looks just like a cummins diesel manifold to me...

Durability and longevity all depend on the material he uses. I'm not saying the design won't work, but that special consideration should be given when choosing material.

Edit: I really should have spelled that out in my first response. I didn't mean it WILL crack. My fault.

Back