• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tsl SX or Maxxis ???

1-tonxj

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Got my federal tax return ...not sure If I should spend all of it on 40 trepadors and 17 wheels to go with them or just do a set of 42 sx and groove/sipe them ...treps plus new 17s will cost me $4000---ish 42 sx will only be about $2000 -ish since they can go right on my current 15s . I guess I'm just not 100% sold on the Sticky treps being so much better they will justify cposting nearly double the 42s sx ,which I know for certain grooved and siped tsl work well and will do better than the boggers plus they will offer more diff clearance than the smaller 40 treps ,and it don't matter what compound the tread is if your diff is hanging , so I can see possibly the treps vs the 42sx being a tie on performace , but not price ...choices choices choices...and tsl sx look much meaner than little 40 treps ...lol.

408 cubic inch Diesel and $700 spenbt on steel for beefing up the trailer says it's not going to be street driven much .

take a look into Pitbull Rockers
I have , and I think they perform pretty much the same as grooved/siped TSL , which do pretty well as they are a good all around tire . The issue with Stick tires is I have not seen them on the trail much and really not on a full bodied heavy XJ as the ones I have seen are on buggies which does not tell me much other than they are on machines that could do well even on bald racing slicks .

if your gonna get a sticky tire get red label krawlers, all others are a waste of money. even bald reds are magic on rocks only catch is there pricey and can wear out quick of you abuse then but it very rare that you have to abuse them

if your gonna get a sticky tire get red label krawlers, all others are a waste of money. even bald reds are magic on rocks only catch is there pricey and can wear out quick of you abuse then but it very rare that you have to abuse them

Until BFG sells the Reds to the public they are not an option I like tires I can buy when needed and don't like paying a guy more than what he paid BFG new for the tires ... how do you like the 106 inch wheelase and 42s i'm around 107 so i'm curious if you feelt you needed more .

Until BFG sells the Reds to the public they are not an option I like tires I can buy when needed and don't like paying a guy more than what he paid BFG new for the tires ... how do you like the 106 inch wheelase and 42s i'm around 107 so i'm curious if you feelt you needed more .
ive yet to wheel the 106, but i dont see a much of a need for more only time it may help is very steep ledges besides that ive been very happy with how mine was with the 103 wb. also if you do settle on the 42" SX call intorco first, they were months out when i tried ordering.

ive yet to wheel the 106, but i dont see a much of a need for more only time it may help is very steep ledges besides that ive been very happy with how mine was with the 103 wb. also if you do settle on the 42" SX call intorco first, they were months out when i tried ordering.

will call around and see what's available .I got until may to get a set .

take a look into Pitbull Rockers

I strongly x2 this. I loved my 42" Rockers...once the edges got rounded off, they were like wheelin with glue on your tires. Never had a tire perform better than those and I've had almost every flavor of tire out there.

I strongly x2 this. I loved my 42" Rockers...once the edges got rounded off, they were like wheelin with glue on your tires. Never had a tire perform better than those and I've had almost every flavor of tire out there.

The only tire I've seen better is the red label krawler, but its in a leave if its own.

The only tire I've seen better is the red label krawler, but its in a leave if its own.

Red Label Krawlers are ok, but I've seen them far outperformed, and outperform others...

My choices for the next tires I'll be going:

- 43" SX Stickies
- 40" or 42" Goodyear MTR Kevlar Reds
- 42" Irok Stickies
- 40" Maxxis Trep Stickies
- 40" Maxxis Creepy Stickies

All of these are $$$$ tires. I have experience (wheeled with) all but the SX stickies and the Irok stickies, though I know people who run both who LOVE them.

To me its all going to come down to availability. All of them aren't easy to get, and they are fukking expensive. I won't be going with Red Label Krawlers as they are just to small for my rig (unless they actually started producing it in a 42x17...which they won't ever).

As far as sizing, the 40" MTR stickies are HUGE. I thought they were 42's at first...but they measure so true to size they look like most other companies 42's.

I watched Darren Henke (of D-Squared racing here in CO) walk at near idle with NO effort suicide hill like it was nothing on the Goodyear Reds.

All in all, each tire will perform very differently across out different terrains. Get Red Label Krawlers in a wet envirnment, and you might as well have Thornbirds on. :D

...plus they will offer more diff clearance than the smaller 40 treps ,and it don't matter what compound the tread is if your diff is hanging...

Talk to most anyone who does serious wheeling on Pirate, and they will all tell you going down in tire size for a sticky does FAR FAR more than going to a larger size non-sticky.

so I can see possibly the treps vs the 42sx being a tie on performace

Not by a longshot.

Sticky treps will make the non-sticky SX's look like drag slicks when it comes to crawling.

As far as snow and mud...don't know...don't care :D

Back