• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TSF Noobfest: 5/8

i belive i mentioned it before. i will be camping for this event fri-sun. im most likly going to have a feiw of my "RL" friends and some "Salemjeepers" along for the trip/camp.
also there is talk sturing about FOOD. BBQ on the hill at some point.
so id like to get a better ideah of who would like to join for camping. also food, what yalls want to bring, or request.
thx alot guies. theres still some time befor this goes down and alot up in the air still. so let me know. just trying to foresight some things.

Bronze.

Hoping to be in.
Do I need a working CB for this run? I don't have an antenna mount figure out yet...not hard to do, just need to do it.

Nick

Nope, not required.

I would however suggest having one to stay in contact with the group, but it's optional. If I remember I'll also throw in an FRS radio as well for those who have them, but no CB yet.

i belive i mentioned it before. i will be camping for this event fri-sun. im most likly going to have a feiw of my "RL" friends and some "Salemjeepers" along for the trip/camp.
also there is talk sturing about FOOD. BBQ on the hill at some point.
so id like to get a better ideah of who would like to join for camping. also food, what yalls want to bring, or request.
thx alot guies. theres still some time befor this goes down and alot up in the air still. so let me know. just trying to foresight some things.

Bronze.

Right now it looks like we may have between 16-20 rigs in for this (wow!). I'll probably pick up a pack of hot dogs, buns, and either chips or soda to share for lunch. I say lets keep the lunch cheap, and simple. If anyone else has a small grill that's easy to carry, it might be beneficial to have more than one.

This is looking like its going to be a fun day. Hopefully the weather will cooperate with us.

Word of warning about the Gales Creek Shell and ORV permits- don't plan on them having them! I've been out over the last year and a half with 5 Jeep outings and they have never had permits. I contacted the state administrator after an employee stated they didn't make any money on them and they weren't worth the time to sell them. The closest seller to TSF on this side of the mountain is Forest Grove Honda or ATV Medic in Yamhill. :patriot:

Word of warning about the Gales Creek Shell and ORV permits- don't plan on them having them! I've been out over the last year and a half with 5 Jeep outings and they have never had permits. I contacted the state administrator after an employee stated they didn't make any money on them and they weren't worth the time to sell them. The closest seller to TSF on this side of the mountain is Forest Grove Honda or ATV Medic in Yamhill. :patriot:
thats funny. I have purchased 7 permits from that shell in the last 2 years, Not only do they always have them, they always give me a map aswell. Infact... I bought one from that shell yesterday to for the map.:laugh:

That Shell has been out of maps every time i ask. Some of you know I of all people need one of those maps...
I am trying my best to make sure I will be at this event. I have done quite a bit to the jeep since I went up last, and hopefully I will have my winch bumper built and on for the trip...
I don't have a portable grille but will bring food :)

That Shell has been out of maps every time i ask. Some of you know I of all people need one of those maps...
I am trying my best to make sure I will be at this event. I have done quite a bit to the jeep since I went up last, and hopefully I will have my winch bumper built and on for the trip...
I don't have a portable grille but will bring food :)

We could wagon train on out, I plan on making this. I see you curzin on Murry every once in a while.

thats funny. I have purchased 7 permits from that shell in the last 2 years, Not only do they always have them, they always give me a map aswell. Infact... I bought one from that shell yesterday to for the map.:laugh:
Perhaps my call to the state worked then. Nothing more frustrating than having someone in my group worrying about not having one with the stepped up enforcement they've been doing up there. You can always ask the Tillamook County Sheriff running around for a map also as they carry a supply to hand out.

We could wagon train on out, I plan on making this. I see you curzin on Murry every once in a while.

Wagon train sounds good to me. I have been avoiding murry lately the traffic sucks. Been taking some windy road from Newberg through Scholls then end up on 170th. Theres some other guy in an xj that exchanges waves every couple days now.. lol

Theres some other guy in an xj that exchanges waves every couple days now.. lol

I have noticed lately that the jeep wave has been extended to the xj crowd. I have been getting the wave when I drive mine and even from those stuck up wrangler drivers.

Dave

100% agree with this - we've stopped in to pick up maps for friends several times over the years, all the stores and gas stations were out and all said they had no idea when they'd be getting more. Permits? Same thing. We lucked out a few weeks ago, the Shell station had just gotten a new book, the woman behind the counter was shocked. We'd run in to the Sheriff that patrols up there - they grey-haired guy - and he advised us that our best bet for picking up a permit was at some motorcycle dealer in Tillamook.
I guess it's feast or famine. Had a ranger hand me around 20 maps last year (the day of the WP/NAXJA run), after having trouble getting a new one prior to several earlier runs. He told me to hand them out, I think all of them are gone now. It's surprising how many people are wandering around borderline lost up at Brown's Camp. At least 19. :laugh:
If you don't have a permit prior to attending this event, I suggest picking one up well in advance.

May 8th is a scheduled ODF work party day for the 4x4 trails (if anyone wants to skip Noobfest for the work party, go for it!). This means ODF will be at Rogers when we're staging, so there's a pretty good chance we can get maps out to everyone who needs one.

You can also print out at map from the ODF PDF file as well (same map as the larger one).
http://www.oregon.gov/ODF/TSF/docs/08docs/08_OHVGuidemap.pdf

The last option would be to just learn the area, but what fun is that? :D

Also, if you want to find an ORV permit dealer check out this link. I would still get one at the Shell on your way out, but if you want to try and find one ahead of time here's the list.
http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/ATV/permit_vendors.shtml

Info on the permits.
http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/ATV/Permits.shtml

Back