• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trunk Strut mount

theslacker

NAXJA Forum User
So my trunk won't stay up and I've narrowed it down to one of the struts. The only problem is that the body side mounting pin fell out. I got the nut out and now I can't get it back inside the body to put it all back together. Any options short of cutting a hole or welding(which is unavailable at the moment)? It's a 92 four door sport.

I've got a similar problem. I replaced my two rear hydraulic hatch struts, and one of the mounts on the vehicle (not on the hatch door) is loose, and I can't tighten it ... just spins when I try to tighten it.

Any suggestions?

Slab-Base-Weld-Nut-RH.gif
How about drilling a small hole next to the ball and run a self tapping screw into the nut plate.
This is whats broke loose, you should be able to catch a tab with with a self tapping screw.

Last edited:
langer1 said:
How about drilling a small hole next to the ball and run a self tapping screw into the nut plate.
Yeah ... that's a good idea ... but only if we can be sure there is a nut plate in there instead of a normal nut. Have you done that before?

Thanks very much for answering and keep the ideas coming!

montanaman said:
Yeah ... that's a good idea ... but only if we can be sure there is a nut plate in there instead of a normal nut. Have you done that before?

Thanks very much for answering and keep the ideas coming!
I had to do one side of my 87 like that, I used some #6 phillips head drill screws.
I drilled a 1/16 hole first to have a look and get the nut turned the right direction.

Back