• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trucking company abandons employees across America...

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Back in 2009 Arrow trucking abandon all 1,400 of its drivers a few days before Christmas.

R.L Carter is following the same douche bag move leaving 240 drivers stranded away from their homes.

A bank has stepped up to help them get home paying 35 cents a mile and filling their gas cards. A lot of the arrow drivers weren't this lucky.

If you're on your CB please pass the word for R. L. Carter drivers to contact this number.
Transportation Alliance Bank
877-664-5504

http://www.landlinemag.com/Special_Reports/2011/Mar/030311.shtml

I remember the Arrow disaster, luckily, all the drivers around where I lived made it out of the area.

Yeah Arrow was bad but there were so many drivers, a lot of people were out there looking for them. Freightliner picked up the fuel tab but it was a few days later and they were out their paychecks.

This bank is being more than generous. 35 cents a mile is pretty good for a company driver. The problem is getting the info to the drivers.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

TAB bank used to be a subsidiary of Flying J. Not sure what happened when they merged with Pilot but they are still in the trucking industry. It's not a huge surprise that they are stepping up. Glad to see it though.

No GPS/QC in the trucks? No phone lists?

That's rough... couldn't blame a driver for walkin' away from that.

Gps doesn't help except to tell them they're 3000 miles from home. They didn't notify their employees (same with arrow) and they usually find out when their gas card is rejected at the pump.

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...home?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|IndyStar.com|s

About 80 drivers employed by a Hendricks County trucking company likely delivered their last loads and headed home, after a suspension of their company's operations Wednesday by a U.S. bankruptcy judge.

Quick thinking by a banker helped keep many of those drivers from being stranded.

R.L. Carter Trucking ground to a halt after U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Anthony J. Metz ordered the Clayton-based company to be liquidated through Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

In business for about 20 years, R.L. Carter employed about 115 workers, including about 100 drivers who transported petroleum, chemicals and dry bulk loads, according to its website.

As the ruling came down Wednesday afternoon, a number of the drivers were out on routes nationwide and unaware of the proceedings or of their company's fate. In fact, many of them didn't find out until stopping to fill up.

As the drivers ran their company's gas card, they received a message to call a hotline to receive assistance.

"I personally spoke to 15 to 20 of those drivers, and none of them had any idea this was coming," said Curtis Sutherland, director of operations for TAB Bank in Ogden, Utah.

TAB Bank, which had been R.L. Carter's lender even through the company's filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization in September, provided the hotline and assistance to ensure the drivers completed their routes, got paid and returned home.

Without that assistance, a bad situation could have become much worse as drivers and their loads, some of which included perishable items, might have been stranded nationwide, Sutherland said.

"It has gone pretty smoothly to this point," he said. "A lot of lenders would have done the same thing we did, because it is in everybody's best interest to have that happen."

Repeated phone calls Thursday to ask R.L. Carter officials about the company's future went unanswered.

However, their bankruptcy attorney, Indianapolis-based Jeffrey Graham, said the company suffered during the recent downturn in the economy and, despite its best efforts -- including trying to reorganize -- it just could not recover.

Sutherland said complaints from equipment lenders and other creditors about not receiving payments led to the judge's ruling Wednesday.

Last edited:
Gps doesn't help except to tell them they're 3000 miles from home. They didn't notify their employees (same with arrow) and they usually find out when their gas card is rejected at the pump.

Not exactly, and sorry for any misunderstanding...

GPS/QC allows trucks to be tracked through the service provider and drivers to be contacted through an in-cab interface.

Many providers include/allow for e-mail and messaging between drivers in addition to dispatch, as well.

At least that's how it worked when I was OTR a few years back. You're basically roughin' it these days without it.

Last edited:
They didn't notify their employees (same with arrow) and they usually find out when their gas card is rejected at the pump.

GPS/QC allows trucks to be tracked through the service provider and drivers to be contacted through an in-cab interface.

I know what you're talking about my parents had one when they worked for a company. The problem is the company didn't care enough to let them know.

I volunteered to drive Arrow drivers home / further home but apparently none of them were in my area... actually just removed that page from my facebook a few weeks ago.

Good that the bank is helping the drivers out, most banks are just out to make a buck these days.

I know what you're talking about my parents had one when they worked for a company. The problem is the company didn't care enough to let them know.

Yeah... I get that......

I'm just saying that with the equipment and system in place, sombody else should have.

Handling it through their fuel cards (like they did) works too, I guess......... :D

Back