• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Truck plates?

Char-Broil

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my title and registration in the mail today for my 00 XJ. The notary decided to register it as a truck. So I got TK on the title and reg card and a truck plate...I know some of you guys would LOVE to be able to register your XJs as trucks. But is this legal? What do I do?

You sure wouldn't want to do that in Illinois..... lotsa suburbs won't let you park in public view with truck, aka commercial plates. You also can't use the express lanes on any of the tollways, and you also have a 10mph lower speed limit as well.

Me, I'd question that registration.

my MJ is registered as a commercial plate, because of the open bed. and because of that i can't leave it on the street in front of my apartment overnight. city ordinance just says commercial vehicles, no descriptions of weight ratings or anything like that. Basically an Officer told me as far as the law is concerned my MJ is in the same group as a dump truck or cement truck. :dunno:

just another annoying CA law.

put a shell on the mj and get it changed Grimm

I forsee a plywood tonneau cover in your future!

i thought about that but i HATE how MJs look with shells on them lol. plus i think if i somehow got it registered as non commercial, i could get cited for having something in the bed, and i haul all kinds of crap around.

Just got my title and registration in the mail today for my 00 XJ. The notary decided to register it as a truck. So I got TK on the title and reg card and a truck plate...I know some of you guys would LOVE to be able to register your XJs as trucks. But is this legal? What do I do?

My XJs are listed as TRUK chassis, but registration is AUTO because the interior seating capacity taking up most of the interior. Vehicles strictly used as cargo vehicles that had no back seat or windows are registered as TRUK. However, I have seen them plated both ways around here as a 4,500lb truck plate currently costs the same as an auto plate.

Ron

halarious comments. I will go to wally world tonight and get my yosemite sam backoff flaps as well as some nice chrome train horns for the roof at the local truck stop. maybe some corner markers and a 24" tall chrome bumper as well?

serriously though, anyone with some PA advice? I'm trying to get in touch with a mechanic who does inspections. i have a feeling this is going to cause problems.

My XJs are listed as TRUK chassis, but registration is AUTO because the interior seating capacity taking up most of the interior. Vehicles strictly used as cargo vehicles that had no back seat or windows are registered as TRUK. However, I have seen them plated both ways around here as a 4,500lb truck plate currently costs the same as an auto plate.

Ron

That's the other thing...it is rated at 5000 GVWR (on the title) and truck reg. here in PA is $20 more a year.

I live in wisconsin mine is registered as a truck. Not sure why tho.

My guess it is because on your MV1 in Section B (Vehicle Information) under "Type", someone put TRUK instead of AUT, included the fee for 4500lb "A" plates on the plate fee line and sent it in. At one point, A plates were $8 cheaper then auto plates.

They fixed that ;)

Ron

Couldn't get a hold of the mechanic. I guess we will see what they say when I take it in for inspection tomorrow!

'Used to have that "problem" with my CJ-5 in Ohio. I had to make sure I had the back seat in it when I registered it, in case they wanted to look. (seat - Auto, no seat - truck) Regs were a looser and plates were cheaper for a "car".

As long as it fits the definition, it's legal, but the title should read "SW","Auto", or some such. I'd get it changed.

Well the mechanic I took it to for inspection said no problem on his end for inspection. I am going to have it corrected to SW and get a new title, registration and plate. I don't really have any good reason to keep it a truck I don't think. IIRC trucks have looser regs. for bumper height and mudflaps and such but I never had any problems with that around here, and I'm not going very big with this Jeep anyway.

Welcome to the North American Station Wagon Association.... :D

Back