• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trip to Ft.Pickett picture gallery...

3 words...

Deep Woods Off

:)

Yup, skeeters are sweet.

Pickett has come a LONG way since the state bought it, but its still the armpit of Virginia. :-0

I must have been lucky... been there in April and July (but not this year), never had problems with bugs.

they've got some cool stuff there, that's for sure

I'm sure we can find a use for this:

can_of_worms.jpg

they still haven't done anything with the water at the LRC... actually, it looks worse than I remember it being in 2001.

MyJeepXJ said:
3 words...
Deep Woods Off
:)
Yup, skeeters are sweet.
Pickett has come a LONG way since the state bought it, but its still the armpit of Virginia. :-0

New Jersey ended up with Ft Dix once the army moved out, McGuire is attached to the base. Jersey was smart about it, they leased the barracks and buildings out to the Navy, AF, CG, Marines and some alphabet agencies a few years ago. I was teaching small arms up to the .50 and really enjoyed it, they have great ranges especially after they totally redid them though it did take like 4 years to remove the tons of lead imbeded in the backstops from over 100 years of training.
Bunch of tree huggers wanted to turn the impact area into a nature trail, almost got the state legislators to do it too. Woulda been fun to watch that, hikers triggering unexploded ordnance from over a 100 years as an artillery and aircraft impact range... we used to fire wp into the dried brush just to start fires and then count the uxo's that would cook off... one year we got a fascam round or two to cook off that didn't self destruct, that was cool...
Not to mention the nuke rocket warhead that blew up on the lakehurst side back in the 50's [NAS lakehurst is also attached kind of], that area is still fenced off just in case they missed anything...
Though I think the most interesting thing are the houses in north jersey that were built on a nike/hercules site, those house have some heavy duty basements I gotta say...but it was easier designing the houses over the concrete launch bays than trying to remove them seeing as they were like 12 feet thick steel reinforced concrete..

RichP said:
we used to fire wp into the dried brush just to start fires and then count the uxo's that would cook off...
Now that, sounds like my kind of fun! Every XO or CO Ive every been around was anal about range control, we never got to have any fun. But this one time, at band camp... er... sorry, at AP Hill we shot off AKs and shit with the SF. That was fun. They told us to ground our kpot and LBE.. "Fuck that shit, take it off" was pretty much what we were told. Doah! They were smoking on range and everything. We just shot the shit out of anything down range. FUN! BTW, AK on full auto = suxor.. (theres no recoil system like in an M-16/4 and a metal butt plate).

Cheers...

Back