• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny issue?

SurfXJSnow

NAXJA Forum User
I'll start by saying that I posted this 3 days ago on NAGCA and got only 13 views and no responses. That forum seems very dead.

So I figured I'd ask here... And I am quite aware that this is a XJ forum!

On to my question... I'll just copy and paste what I put on NAGCA.

Just picked up a 99 GC limited 4.7 with 160k. Trans shifts smooth and engine is strong. When going up hills/gradual inclines, the jeep sometimes shudders. I get no CEL lights, and when it shudders, it's NOT changing gears. Other than that issue, the engine runs great and the trans shifts smooth and is very responsive. I'm coming from the TJ and XJ background and have never encountered this issue before. I've searched and the only thing I found were other people having misfires, which I'm not having... And the shuddering is definitely coming from the rear axle or trans. I also have a slight clunk coming from the back when stopping. Checked u joint and seems fine. The strange thing is it only does it when going up hills/inclines.

Any ideas? I just picked this thing up to build into a family luxury wheeler... But would rather flip and resell it if I'm looking at tranny work or a hefty repair bill, for I have no experience rebuilding transmissions.

Thanks!!!

And when I say "shudders", it feels like something in the trans or rear causing the forward movement to get jerky. Does not make any sounds and the engine does not rev and all guages remain normal when the issue happens, which leaves me to believe it's the trans or T-case.

Yeah the trans on those is not the best. My buddy has one, and when he bought it the Trans was fine and a month later... is busted.

And the thing is with those things, there is a whole bunch of sensors to them that need to be replaced, and the TCU, eventually we just replaced his trans with a used one... Now its fine!

Yeah the trans on those is not the best. My buddy has one, and when he bought it the Trans was fine and a month later... is busted.

And the thing is with those things, there is a whole bunch of sensors to them that need to be replaced, and the TCU, eventually we just replaced his trans with a used one... Now its fine!

Did he have the 4.7 or 4.0? Because apparently the 4.0 transmissions are the ones with the big problems. Hmm.

Ooohh yeah the 4.0's BLOW.

The 4.7L's are a little better but not much. What the 4e-re or something like that right?

Yeah its not hard to replace and we found a used one for $200 or something, sold the old one for the same price to a guy that rebuilds them.

Sounds like it could be the viscous coupler in the 247/249 transfer case (not sure what year they switched to the 247).

The part itself is over $400 but not real difficult to replace. Do some Googling on the symptoms of a failing V.C. and see if you find the same/similar issues.

I have a buddy with a NP249 that can be had for reasonable $$$ if that turns out to be the problem.

did you do what I told you to? Change the t-case fluid to Mopar 247 fluid and get the tranny flushed? The 45rfe is actually a pretty stout tranny, used behind fairly big v8 power in 1/2 ton trucks. There is no viscous coupler in the NV247, it is a "georotor" or something equally gay, essentially a clutch pack. Mine chirps and clunks regularly under load, I believe because the PO's of the vehicle regularly ran ATF in the case instead of the spec'd mopar fluid. My solution is to replace the whole damn case with a 231 and be happy.

NAGCA and Mallcrawlin.com both have lots of good info, but yeah, very little traffic. Try posting in the WJ forum at jeepforum.com, there is a lot more activity there and the answers tend to come fairly quickly.

EDIT: Surf (jimgrms too), also if you haven't perused www.wjjeeps.com, you're missing out on a shitton of info. I continue to be surprised at the breadth of answers I find there...

Last edited:
Thanks chris. I'll post up there when I get home. Called the stealership and talked to a serv writer and he told me the trans in the 4.7 were strong to with little probs. Diagnostic runs 100... So may take that route if I don't find a solution soon. Haven't flushed trans yet or checked t case fluid yet. Will do tomorrow. Been buuusy! Finally making good money as a contractor for once feels good!

definitely do the t-case fluid first, I'm betting it has ATF in it and is the source of your issues...

so heres my new diagnostic run down after driving home. Really paid attention to the issues im having....

Its more of a Jerking or bucking thats happening.

The feeling i get in the throttle when it happens is if I were driving a 5 speed trans and I was trying to go up a hill on 33's and didnt downshift. AKA, RPMS are low and it seems like it wants to shift to a lower gear but instead it JERKS/bucks like its trying to. If i approach a hill with a heavy foot on the throttle, and by pass this trouble spot, I dont feel the problem. Its only when going easy on the throttle, the jeep seems to stay in a higher gear/low rpm and makes this jerking.

I also tried the overdrive button but that does not help.

Chris, im thinking youre on track with the fluid... but the Trans fluid looks/smells fine. I cant imagine it being a T case problem though if the problem is a shifting issue...

Funny how these things happen a week after I buy this luxury piece of junk.

"all these problems" - dude, change the fluid in the tcase and see if it goes away! Even if you had to replace the tcase (the fluid change didn't help mine much.. too late), I bet you can find a 247 on CL for cheap and it shouldn't take longer than a couple hours to swap it in. I'd hardly call it a second rent payment. Your east coast location does not seem to be remedying your Jeep ADD... :looney:

"all these problems" - dude, change the fluid in the tcase and see if it goes away! Even if you had to replace the tcase (the fluid change didn't help mine much.. too late), I bet you can find a 247 on CL for cheap and it shouldn't take longer than a couple hours to swap it in. I'd hardly call it a second rent payment. Your east coast location does not seem to be remedying your Jeep ADD... :looney:

So a shift problem could stem from the T case? And my east coast location sucks for finding jeep parts. Its all hybrid crap out here. And how would I know this new T case was good?

you told me the tranny is NOT shifting causing this problem, so I would hesitate to call it a "shift problem".

Trans shifts smooth and engine is strong.

I also told you it is awfully difficult to diagnose something like this over the phone/internet from 2500 miles away. That said, your shudder/lurching description sounds a shitload like what my 247 does under load, albeit not as bad - check the common issue that causes this problem: wrong fluid in tcase. for about 1/2 the folks experiencing it, changing the fluid and doing the figure 8 manuevers I told you about when you were buying it will fix the issue. You won't know if you don't try, but if you keep trading selling every jeep that has any mechanical issue (1) you won't learn how to fix it and (2) folks here will stop trying to help.

/rant

you told me the tranny is NOT shifting causing this problem, so I would hesitate to call it a "shift problem".

I also told you it is awfully difficult to diagnose something like this over the phone/internet from 2500 miles away. That said, your shudder/lurching description sounds a shitload like what my 247 does under load, albeit not as bad - check the common issue that causes this problem: wrong fluid in tcase. for about 1/2 the folks experiencing it, changing the fluid and doing the figure 8 manuevers I told you about when you were buying it will fix the issue. You won't know if you don't try, but if you keep trading selling every jeep that has any mechanical issue (1) you won't learn how to fix it and (2) folks here will stop trying to help.
/rant

Just cancelled my appt at the dealership. Going to buy the correct mopar fluid and do the t case tomorrow. Now you said you flushed the trans... And added new ATF4... Should I go that far yet or just swap Tcase fluid first? And what color is the correct t case fluid just in case I go to drain it and it's correct?

ata boy. do the case first and see if it solves the problem, then flush the tranny if necessary. you need a 10mm allen for the drain and fill plugs, and yes, lower is the drain. If you end up flushing the tranny, just take it to a trusted lube joint, it'll likely be @ $110 including the ATF.

ata boy. do the case first and see if it solves the problem, then flush the tranny if necessary. you need a 10mm allen for the drain and fill plugs, and yes, lower is the drain. If you end up flushing the tranny, just take it to a trusted lube joint, it'll likely be @ $110 including the ATF.

Ehh. $110 buys a ton of diapers and baby food. I sure hope the 2 quarts of t case lube do the trick. But again, what color is the correct fluid gonna be?... I'm guessing NOT red...

Back