• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trailer tongue jack questions

Ba-Riedo

has frame envy
I need to get a new trailer jack for a trailer that my buddy is letting me use whenever I need to tow my jeep around until I get my own. The tongue jack that is on his currently is a tow swivel round one that sucks, it is hard to move and looks like it is going to fall apart.

It also drags on the ground sometimes so I want to get a jack that screws up abut also either folds sideways or has a section that extends separate from the part that I turn.

We have that type of jack on our heavy duty trailer at MP, but I am wondering if we can get one of those type of jacks in a lighter duty version. This trailer has a capacity of around 6k so the tongue weight should only be a few thousand pounds max, right?

So does anyone have any suggestions of a jack I can get, I check the local stores and can't really find a good one online.

I am leaning towards something like this: http://www.easternmarine.com/FULTON-2500-lb-Capacity-Fixed-Mount-Jack-w/Drop-Leg-HD2500-0101/

-Alex

ANY trailer supply/RV dealer can fix you up, most steel fab shops have them, and Harbor Freight has some too.

Yeah I was going to say tractor supply. I notice that trailer/rv dealers are pricey on parts because they don't sell many. I got a couple parts from a tractor supply store, not a jack but they have all the parts to build a trailer from scratch. Your tongue weight shouldn't be that high, the majority of your weight is on the axles and your tongue weight should only be 5-10% of that. So absolute max around 1000#'s(trailer included) if you have more then that your trailer is going to start to sway from my experience. What is the length, axle rating, and trailer weight?

Sounds like what you're looking for is a light duty drop leg jack. My new 10k trailer has one. And, as POSJ say, you're looking at no more than 600-800 lbs. tongue weight, max.

http://www.northerntool.com has a few jacks that should fit your needs.

Looks fairly close to what I have.

Back