• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing with XJ

NOTNSUV

You Guys ROCK!
Wondering about towing with the XJ that's setup for overland or offroad and the rear swaybar removed. Lots of overland guys tow lots of trailer variations, some folks tow tent trailers, etc. so wondering how it works out if without a rear swaybar? I have a pretty mild setup with 4.5" lift and 33s and am considering towing my Alumaweld Talon 17' behind the XJ but hear it's not a fun deal w/o rear swaybar. Guess I could give it a whirl to see for myself but would like some experienced input.

Thanks.

I towed 6k moving from Fort Rucker, AL back to Houston. 55MPH and 3rd (AW4) the whole way. ~3" OME JKS DPG blah blah blah lift. No rear swaybar. I had it loaded a little heavy in the rear on the way down to Florida and it was pushing me some. I reloaded the trailer and was fine the rest of the way. I never felt like not having the rear swaybar was holding me back. I did feel like not having a tranny cooler was. I also have ZJ rear disks and 235/75x15 tires.

Chassis is rated for 5k, but motor, aw4, brakes aren't up for that much weight in my experience. I'd say more like 3k. I've towed my dads 2005 correct craft ski nautique, which probably weighs under 4k. Not a fun experience. I have a 99 with 4.0, aw4, 4.5" lift, 33s blah blah, ZJ rear discs.

I have towed my utility trailer (boxed frame, approx 900lbs) loaded with a couple thousand pounds of yard supplies, several times with 4.5" lift and 33's, no sway bar. The poor braking is always more of a concern than the way it handles.

Fortunately, I have rear disc brakes that should help a bit. I don't think my boat and trailer are over 2000#.

You'll be just fine without it, you'd be better with it. I like the difference a rear sway bar makes just around town but after I built a bastard pack, stiffening the rear spring rate, it didn't matter so much. If you plan to tow more than 3K with any frequency, I'd add a Hellwig or Addco thicker rear bar - but for occasional use & 2 or 3K of weight, I wouldn't worry about it.

My XJ is stock and I towed a 6x10 enclosed double axle trailer between TN and CO. If the trailer is properly loaded, road stability is fine. Power is not great but not terrible. Braking is more of an issue. With your rear discs you may be fine.

I tow a 3,000 lb boat and trailer with my set up. (99XJ, 31s, 4.10s, Dana 44, upgraded brakes front and rear, trans cooler, 4 inch OME/DPG lift, rear sway bar still installed) I feel that is the max it should tow based on brakes, power and my comfort level.

My father and brother towed his '68 Charger from NJ to MA in an '87 Ramcharger on an 18 ft car trailer.

Wasn't that big of a deal they just didn't do 80 mph.

The rear sway doesn't do much, the "Sport" models didn't even come with one.

Tow capacity of an auto is 5.5k, so as far as pull, just drive in 3 and forget OD.

Try not to tow anything longer than the XJ. I know, I've done it without problem and " got away with it" but it's not recommended.

Match the hitch heights. They make drop hitches for that purpose.

I've flat towed a lifted YJ over 5 states, and. XJ over 1. Not a problem as long as you recognize that it will act like an overloaded vehicle with an ass full of weight that will want to push through corners if you suddenly decelerate in the middle of one. Trailer brakes are highly recommended for large loads :)

-Ron

The rear sway doesn't do much, the "Sport" models didn't even come with one.

Tow capacity of an auto is 5.5k, so as far as pull, just drive in 3 and forget OD.

Try not to tow anything longer than the XJ. I know, I've done it without problem and " got away with it" but it's not recommended.

Match the hitch heights. They make drop hitches for that purpose.

I've flat towed a lifted YJ over 5 states, and. XJ over 1. Not a problem as long as you recognize that it will act like an overloaded vehicle with an ass full of weight that will want to push through corners if you suddenly decelerate in the middle of one. Trailer brakes are highly recommended for large loads :)

-Ron

My 00 Sport had a rear sway bar. Now , my bedroom has a rear swaybar!

If it were we - my concerns would be the 33'' tires on stock gears and brakes. If you had 215/75-15 tires ... that'd be different.

I flat towed another XJ with mine - can't comment on braking performance as that was handled by the person in the other XJ. However, I didn't notice mine was struggling too bad on hills, etc.

Guess I should have added data to my original question (Towing without swaybar).
I have 33s w/4.56 so not an issue. Also have rear disc brakes and a transmission cooler. My lift has springs that should easily handle the light load I'm planning.

Been towing all kinds of stuff for 40 years so don't need lessons on basics of towing or info on towing done with anything other than an XJ w/o a swaybar. My '99 Sport had a rear swaybar.

The answer to my question will come when I strap the boat behind and give it a try.

I do appreciate the input but things get out of hand and off track.. I'm guilty as the next guy.

So thanks.

^^ I agree but with 2-3000 I wouldn't worry too much sounds like you've got the setup and the experience to pull it off let us know how it works out.

Back