• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tow points

moneypitxj

NAXJA Member #565
i know i should have asked this earlier, but thats not me. i need to know if the rear bumper could be considered a tow point. it is an aftermarket bumper ,so if i welded somthing to it ,it wont be any stronger than the bumper connections. plus i have used it befor to pull people out, but if not will someone at red ridge have a welder? here is a pic of the bumper hopefully it stays up, and hopefully someone can answer this. it is heavy duty.
faa10b58.jpg

ps the hitch is not on anymore this is why i ask.

The hitch is the tow point. Of course you will need the hitch pin and a 2 inch tow strap. A 2 inch strap will fit into the hitch reveiver opening.
It takes a little jiggling to get the loop in the right spot, but when you do, put the pin in, open the hatch a put the tow strap in the back and your ready to roll. Cost = $0
If you have a 3 inch strap, put the ball and hitch in the receiver and loop the strap over the ball and around the hitch. I think it will fit.

i know the hitch is a tow point i used to do that, but i took mine off a few months ago and the nut tabs slide down through the uni-body and now its to late to take the bumper off ,but the bumper is strong enough i can wrap my strap around it and tow from that. i just need to know if thw safty requirements will let that slide.

it is NOT considered a tow point at paragon. I have a receiver shackle, so it takes care of front and rear. But I leave it in the back. Paragon always asks me where my front tow point is...and I have an aftermarket bumper there. They won't let you in the park. I probably wouldn't consider it a tow point either.

I'm trying to think of what you can do...someone WILL have a welder at the campground, and they will be happy to help you out with making a towpoint. Just ask around once you get there. _nicko_

gearwhine said:
it is NOT considered a tow point at paragon. I have a receiver shackle, so it takes care of front and rear. But I leave it in the back. Paragon always asks me where my front tow point is...and I have an aftermarket bumper there. They won't let you in the park. I probably wouldn't consider it a tow point either.

I'm trying to think of what you can do...someone WILL have a welder at the campground, and they will be happy to help you out with making a towpoint. Just ask around once you get there. _nicko_

Pick up a D ring shackle and put it thru the insert sans ball.

Walt Stanley said:
If you have a 3 inch strap, put the ball and hitch in the receiver and loop the strap over the ball and around the hitch. I think it will fit.
Just as a note, DO NOT ever put a tow strap around the ball of a hitch. This has been known to create a projectile receiver ball headed back toward the vehicle behind.

Back