• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow Bar Mount Location Idea… Good or Bad

DZRTANK

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I am placing my post in this forum because I’m figuring a fabricators mind would be the best to answer my question. Sorry if I was wrong…

Here is the problem:
When I enter a corner, while flat towing, the lead vehicle leans/rolls an uncomfortable amount. Not dangerous, just uncomfortable.

Here is the issue:
Because the towed vehicle is lifted, the tow bar mounts are located high. Based on the simple theory of leverage and center of gravity, a lower mount position should eliminate/lessen the issue.

Here is my question:
Would mounting the tow bar lower on the towed vehicle and lower on the lead vehicle, eliminate this issue? But where would be a good location... For Example, the axle would be the lowest location. If you connected your tow bar to the axle; what would be the negative issues to this setup? I use to tow my 67 Baja Bug by the axle. Can I tow my XJ by the axle?

Description of current set up:
Lead Vehicle
2006, WK Overland, 4x4
Scaled weight at truck scale is: 4980 pounds
Stock height, Stock tires
6”riser receiver is required to maintain a level tow bar configuration.

Towed Vehicle
1988, XJ Pioneer, 4x4
Scaled weight at truck scale is: 3840 pounds
6” lift & 35” Baja Claw Tires
Tow bar currently mounted to the lowest point of the bumper.

I flat tow mine from the bumper. It has 6.5" of lift on 33's but I use a raised hitch ball. You can pick them up from any trailer shop. The WJ might have roll because it is close to the weight you are towing.

I flat tow mine from the bumper. It has 6.5" of lift on 33's but I use a raised hitch ball. You can pick them up from any trailer shop. The WJ might have roll because it is close to the weight you are towing.

Got the raised hitch ball already. Thanks... I thought of the weight thing, but I figured a weight issue would create a draggin issue, not a leaning issue. My old WJ use to dragg and lean (they were much closer in weight). The WK just leans...

I would say it is the weight issue. I flat towed mine with a 31' motorhome and now a truck and camper. Never had this issue.

Funny you mention the truck thing... My sisters F-150 weighted in at 5000 pounds. Close to the WK weight. NO issues with the F-150 while towing. In fact, almost forgot it was back there unless I hit the brakes.

The differences I could find between the two are:
1. Longer wheel base
2. No Riser hitch used.

Because the F-150 (stock) was taller than the WK, there was no need for the riser. In fact, a 2" drop hitch was used to keep the tow bar flat. This is what made me start thinking that the riser is causing the lean issue. It is acting like a lever when rolling/leaning the vehicle over.

Just towed my new (to me) 1990 stocker XJ back from Colorado to Houston. My lifted 98 was the tow vechicle. I used the same tow bar and hitch i usually use, just the hitch was flipped. I couldn't tell it was back there except on hills. Looked like the pic below. Maybe it has to do with the suspension on the WJ? Stiffer?

tow.jpg

Do you have a sway bar on the towed vehicle?

The best scenario would be to attach the tow hitch as close as possible to the roll center of the tow vehicle as possible. I would stick to attaching the tow bar to the bumper of the towed vehicle.

The best scenario would be to attach the tow hitch as close as possible to the roll center of the tow vehicle as possible. I would stick to attaching the tow bar to the bumper of the towed vehicle.

I hadn’t thought about your “roll center” theory… Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind.

I'd definitely avoid towing from the axle- the only thing holding your towed vehicle to the tow rig would only be the LCA's. You wouldn't necessarily rip anything apart, but if they were to bend, your towing experience may get squirrely

I have towed my XJ for years and about 35,000 miles behind a small motor home (24' @ 12,500 lbs) and barely even notice it except on uphills or when braking heavily. This has held true through various size lifts and tire sizes ranging from stock to a 4” lift and 33”s.
I use an SMI tow brake to stay safe and legal.
The tow bar needs to be horizontal, within an inch or so, according to the tow bar manufacturers.
My tow bar attaches near the bottom of the bumper and friends have theirs mounted higher and none of the different heights seem to effect the tow vehicle. The top of my tow bar sits about 22” off the ground.
One thing that does effect my tow vehicle is slop in the hitch receiver. It causes a push/pull bucking on rough roads.
I drilled 5/8” holes on the side and bottom of the receiver and welded 5'/8” nuts to the receiver. Two bolts are used to solidify the connection by clamping the insert, eliminating most of the bucking.

Back