• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque steer - out of idea's

Yup. I also lose my mind when someone asks a question, I give a hundred things to check, and after 10 pages they just disappear, especially when I'm pretty confident they're just checking something wrong. Ultimately without a resolution, the thread has failed to contribute anything to the Internets.

That said, the tire rotation solved it! The torque steer was definitely being caused by very slightly different tread depths. Like, the tires are about 1mm difference in overall diameter, but it threw me all over the road to the point that I couldn't in good conscience let anyone else drive it. Embarrassing that it was that simple, especially after I checked it a hundred times. What gets me is that I AM sure that they were the same size when I first put them on, and they have been so several times since. I feel like I still have one mystery to solve. Either :
1. How the **** did I measure wrong a hundred times, or
2. How did my left tire get worn down so fast?

I think the answer probably has something to do with the fact that I drift this bitch like a rally car (on pavement) and I favour drifting left over right (just don't feel as in control on right drifts). I figure that SHOULD have cause the right (outside) tire to wear faster, but who knows? Either way, problem seems to be solved. I'll be on the highway tomorrow on the way to the trail so if the problem does in fact remain, I'll update this, but I'm pretty confident it's fixed and I am deeply ashamed I didn't solve it earlier *commits ritual seppuku*.
4SI7nzM.gif

SHAMEFURDISPRAY.jpg

Hmmm....hopefully it solved your problem for good.....but having had tires on the rear that were way more than 1 mm (0.039") off from each other in diameter, I had no such torque steer at all, and yes, I had a lunchbox locker in mine too. Since the tires in question were swampers, I'd be lucky if the tires were within 1/2" of each other diameter wise.

Only time I ever experienced anything like what you describe is when I was in mud so slick that the front tires had zero traction, and the truck went the way the rear axle was aligned no matter what the front tires were doing.

I just find it hard to believe a 1 mm difference was the issue. That's the thickness of ~ 10 sheets of paper...................sidewall flex will absorb way more than that difference.

I mean with that diameter difference, the rolling distance would be ~0.122" per tire rev...so for every tire revolution, the difference between the right & left side would be 1/8th an inch. Not enough to cause the issue you had. On a 35" tire, that'd mean 1 tire would travel 109.9" per rev, and the other would travel 110". That means you'd have to travel 75 ft before you had a difference of 1" in the distance traveled between the tires.

Are you sure nothing else changed that got rid of the problem ??

Hmmm....hopefully it solved your problem for good.....but having had tires on the rear that were way more than 1 mm (0.039") off from each other in diameter, I had no such torque steer at all, and yes, I had a lunchbox locker in mine too. Since the tires in question were swampers, I'd be lucky if the tires were within 1/2" of each other diameter wise.

Only time I ever experienced anything like what you describe is when I was in mud so slick that the front tires had zero traction, and the truck went the way the rear axle was aligned no matter what the front tires were doing.

I just find it hard to believe a 1 mm difference was the issue. That's the thickness of ~ 10 sheets of paper...................sidewall flex will absorb way more than that difference.

I mean with that diameter difference, the rolling distance would be ~0.122" per tire rev...so for every tire revolution, the difference between the right & left side would be 1/8th an inch. Not enough to cause the issue you had. On a 35" tire, that'd mean 1 tire would travel 109.9" per rev, and the other would travel 110". That means you'd have to travel 75 ft before you had a difference of 1" in the distance traveled between the tires.

Are you sure nothing else changed that got rid of the problem ??
Drove, had torque steer, rotated tires, torque steer gone. I'm also sorta in disbelief about it. I've had my tires off 20 times this year, so definitely wasn't just a wheel not sitting right or something. Difference is night and day.

Confirmed. 3 or 4 days and a few hundred KM street and highway. Torque steer completely gone. I am absolutely positive it went away when I rotated the tires (X pattern), and the rears were exactly 1mm difference in radius, at least as measured by tread depth. I can hammer on the throttle all day and it always goes bone straight now. When I've got a chance, I'll rotate the tires back to really confirm it, but I'm positive I didn't make any other changed.

As for TQ steer vs front suspension, it makes perfect sense, but only if your geometry is way out. Steering is a lot more forgiving than most people think, it's just that a lot of rigs are REALLY out. I've driven mine with no sway bars on the street heaps of times, and when I stomp on it, my front end nearly leaves the ground, so the axle shifts over probably 2" or more towards passenger, but it's never changed how severe the steer was. TQsteer always pulled equally hard no matter what I did with throttle or suspension. It's either a problem, or it's not, which is why I kept coming back to the locker/rear axle.

Back