• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Converter to Flexplate Mounting

nhrocker

Jackstand wheeler
XJ is a 95, 4.0, AW4, 231

I'm part way through replacing my transmission/torque converter. I'm pretty sure only the torque converter was bad, but I don't know how much material from the converter dying is still floating around in my trans, so I'm swapping in a used one. The one going in is out of a 96. Trans/converter I took out was a used one a shop had installed like 3-4 years ago, not sure what year it came out of. I've got the "new" bell housing all bolted in, went in pretty easily.

Issue is between the flexplate and torque converter mounting surfaces. The converter is pushed all the way into the trans, leaving maybe an 1/8" gap (probably less than that) between the converter and flexplate. I know if I toss the bolts in the converter will pull out of the trans to tighten up to the flexplate. Is that whats supposed to happen or should they be flush to begin with?

TIA

that's normal

you'll need to constantly rotate it as you're tightening the bolts...don't crank on one cause then it could get cockeyed or the others wont' go right in.

make sure you lock-tite them. they can come loose and a loose torque converter is bad...I had one crack my flexplate.

Back