• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toothless 30!!!!

Looks like an ARB and cryo'd gears are in your future. I'm beginning to think I should have gotten the cryo'd gears when I installed my ARB.

So what is that supposed to mean? You saying I don't know how to drive and lack common sense? What are you a ****? I'm not one to beat on my own rig especially since I know that it has limitations and if I break it I have to fix it and most times that's miles from the nearest parts store or road for that matter. So no it's not my driving I'm going more with the D30 on 35's and an aussie in the stock carrier as not being as good of an idea as some may say. I'm think of either selling the aussie and going with an ARB or just leaving it open for awhile.

Settle down and dont take it so personal b/c it was not intedned at your post, look at the post above my original post and old man said "in your dreams" from a previous quote. I was simply stating that a D30 will last with various size tires or build ups..in no way shape or form referencing your problem or its causes in my post. Chill out or take your attitude elsewhere.

Cheeseman-OUT!

So what is that supposed to mean? You saying I don't know how to drive and lack common sense? What are you a ****? I'm not one to beat on my own rig especially since I know that it has limitations and if I break it I have to fix it and most times that's miles from the nearest parts store or road for that matter. So no it's not my driving I'm going more with the D30 on 35's and an aussie in the stock carrier as not being as good of an idea as some may say. I'm think of either selling the aussie and going with an ARB or just leaving it open for awhile.

Sounds like someone is a little butt-hurt! Honestly, with anyone offering up some free advice in a calm matter shouldn't be taken so freely. We're all here to help until somone pulls s#it like this. Sure, people crack jokes and give people hell. But its the damned internet! Check the attitude at the login screen!

I'm running the same setup as you, gonna keep my fingers crossed. :dunce:

I mean from what I've been reading online about building up a D30, I'm doing everything possible to keep my setup together. Chromoly shafts, full case locker, heavy duty cover and I'll be trussing it probably this week. Inner C mounts seem like the next step and cryo gears are probably the only thing left, which I should've done earlier. I feel like lots of beef will hold the parts together more than wishing will :)

I'm gettin rid of the 30 as soon as I can afford it. I'm done with babying it over every rock it's just stupid. I've outgrown it I guess. It's making it not fun to wheel with anymore. Time to upgrade. Good luck with the 30's I'm getting a 44. Should have never wasted all the money on the 30 in the first place.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be a bad idea to figure out what actually caused the breakage before coming off of it.

Hey Rob,
I have run a HP D30 with an ARB and 4.56 gears for almost 10 years now, almost all of that time on 35" tires. First in my XJ, now the ARB/4.56 gears are in a "less-beat-upon" HP D30 in my wifes MJ. I even run the stock cover with a skid mounted along the bottom, not a full Ruff Stuff or Solid cover. NEVER had any issues with case/carrier flex and chipping teeth like that. I think your on the right track with getting rid of the stock carrier/lunch box locker and going with a full case locker like an ARB.

A.

Yeah but then I'm into the 30 for another $800 and then I'll probably just snap the pinion. I just think the gears are too small for what I'm asking them to do. I was fine until I went up to 35's then stuff started falling apart. I wheeled for 4 years on 33's and never had any problems either. I'm just getting tired of having to baby the 30 all the time. Besides everytime I look at the ring gear it makes me cringe a little it's way undersized for the rest of the jeep.

If bigger = better, forget the D44 and go D60/9"...

I've already got the 8.8 in the rear so I'm probably going to just match that with the 44 up front. That should be a good setup for the 35's for now. The ring gear on the 30 is only 7.5" the same as the D35. Going to the 44 will give me an 8.5" ring gear that will match the 8.8 pretty well.

I've already got the 8.8 in the rear so I'm probably going to just match that with the 44 up front. That should be a good setup for the 35's for now. The ring gear on the 30 is only 7.5" the same as the D35. Going to the 44 will give me an 8.5" ring gear that will match the 8.8 pretty well.

Fair enough. I know your wallet isn't mine, but I really would hate to see so much progress go to waste on the 30 that has probably surpassed the 44 in strength with the mods (with the exception of the R&P). I mean, you're really only one weak link away from nearly bullet proof. Just my $.02...At any rate, let me know when those shafts come up for sale.

Yeah but then I'm into the 30 for another $800 and then I'll probably just snap the pinion. I just think the gears are too small for what I'm asking them to do. I was fine until I went up to 35's then stuff started falling apart. I wheeled for 4 years on 33's and never had any problems either. I'm just getting tired of having to baby the 30 all the time. Besides everytime I look at the ring gear it makes me cringe a little it's way undersized for the rest of the jeep.

Yes, but the $800 will get you back on the trails sooner... and you can start gathering parts to build your D44. Besides, you won't need the axle locked for 70% of the time on black trails at RC. Just lock it when you need it, then shut it back off again. Having an open front takes ALOT of load off the front axle. Do you already have OBA? In the timeframe I have run an ARB/4.56 gears I have logged well over 50,000 miles and at least 3 broken shafts on my ARB, and it still works as reliable as the first day it was installed. I even spun the tubes and tweaked the housing on my original D30, and it didn't hurt that locker/gearset. It worked for me, but (like you) I am not a "hammer-down" wheeler either.

A.

I would probably run it off of my CO2 tank to save some money and keep it simple if I went that route. We'll see what they say on monday when I take it in. If they replace the gears I may just put the spiders back in and run it open till I come up with a plan. I got your PM too thanks for the heads up.

Back